Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

I referenced multiple articles stating that eggshells should not go down the garbage disposal.

These are refereed articles in well-respected scientific journals, right??? :egg:

Jury’s out whether someone will post about me in this thread

I put egg shells in the garbage disposal. Why is that bad?

If it’s the end of the carton I just put them in the carton & throw the whole thing away, but if it’s not the end of the carton I don’t want them loose in the trash so I put them in the disposal. Never occurred to me that there was a reason not to. My mother, who taught me to cook, also did this, and still does. :woman_shrugging:

Egg Shells

Egg shells have no place in the disposer. Some people claim they sharpen the blades, but this is untrue. Egg shells have a stringy membrane layer that can wrap around the unit’s shredder ring. When the shells are ground to consistency akin to sand, they can eventually clog up your pipes.

IFYP. And no matter how many articles you send me, I can’t read. :dog:

1 Like

And yet you can post. :thinking:

2 Likes

Never knew that.

This source says it’s ok as long as you don’t put too many down the disposal at a time. I always run the disposal separately after every 2 egg shells (I might cheat if I’m using exactly 3 eggs) so I think I’m ok.

Why is that?

They drip and make a sticky mess and even though it’s the trash I just don’t want to deal with it. Also if I go several days with out emptying the trash (which happens) then they get stinky. I want them gone.

I love how there is picture of celery for vegetables to put in the disposal but the article specifically list celery as a fibrous vegetable you shouldn’t put in there because of the strings.

Yeah, I’d never put celery in the disposal but I almost never buy it.

I generally don’t put these things in the disposal, but will be more careful about potato and carrot skin. My practice is to peel these veggies over the sink and grab the vast majority of the peel to throw in the trash. I didn’t worry if a little bit went in the disposal. I’ll be more careful.

The only time I had a problem with something in the disposal it wasn’t with anything on this list. Ants got in the house and went after some dry food in the dog’s bowl. It was maybe 1/2 of a medium bowl of food, and I didn’t want to throw it in the trash full of ants. It wound up clogging the disposal.

The most inappropriate thing I ever put into the disposal was some moldy rice that I’d forgotten existed and had sat in the back of the fridge for way too long. Disposal clogged so I was fishing it out with my hand. In addition to the rice I also felt something metal that was loose.

Fearing that the rice had actually broken the disposal, I fished the metal object out. Nope… it was a sterling silver spoon that must have belonged to the previous owner. (I was the home’s second owner.) After fishing out the majority of the remaining rice I washed my hands & found the listing agent’s name on some paperwork. Listing agent reached out to the previous owner who was thrilled to get her spoon back. Got it in the mail a few days later, and the garbage disposal, for some strange reason, started working a whole lot better after that incident.

2 Likes

Oh and the spoon was in surprisingly good condition. I’d owned the home for over a year at that point, plus however long it had been in the disposal before I bought it. There was one noticeable nick on an edge, but that was about it. I’m sure a silversmith could easily repair it.

Considering it had been living in a garbage disposal for a minimum of 1.5 years, I couldn’t believe how little damage there was.

The spoon must have been cursed!!! :scream: :ghost:

2 Likes

Yeesh, what sort of wimpy garbage disposal are you trying to protect. I put all those things down the drain. Not in huge quantities all at once. (And a lot of that stuff goes in the compost, with just the dregs going down the drain, but still.) Everything gets lots of water to wash it down. If there’s enough fat to pour off, it does go in a fat can in the fridge (which ends up in the trash when it’s full) but i just make sure to mix fat with some detergent before pouring out down the drain.

Yes, I’ve had to replace the disposal once in the 25 years we’ve lived here. They are cheap.

Garbage disposals. What an entirely american concept!
I’ve never seen one, not ever.

Yeah well when you can throw your trash out back and burn it, who needs a garbage disposal?

Up at 4am to take a student out turkey hunting. Drove into town to pick them up. Waited in front of their building for about 25 minutes. Drove home. Did not get back to sleep.

1 Like