Americans Should Quit Their Jobs More Often

leave me out of this.

1 Like

yo - a little context here please? this seems ridiculously high for maintenance.

those injectibles that are advertised on TV all the time for crohns, RA, psoriasis, and a collection of autoimmune diseases? they arenā€™t cheap. when a family has 2 people using them, they add up. or one person using them at a higher than typical dose bc of reasons.

and that isnā€™t even something like clotting factor for a hemophiliac, someone with HAE, or conditions far worse that have relatively new treatments that are really expensive. those are at least rare.

2 Likes

my sister has MS and her infusions and medication are pretty expensive if she were paying out of pocket. I think it might be 6 figures, but doubt it hits anywhere near 500k.

When I worked in stop loss, certain hemophilia drugs were where the biggest claims came from. Millions every year. Not a cheap disease.

2 Likes

I have a friend with a kid with hemophilia. He jokes that it is treated by injecting money into his kidā€™s veins.

1 Like

There was a $12 Million per year kid (public record now) that completely blew up the Iowa ACA exchange marketplace. Hemophiliac.

1 Like

yes, hemophilia and some other really rare things have potentially very expensive continued care. like the boy in Iowa - who I joked would get ā€œlaseredā€ proactively by anyone writing stop loss in Iowa out of fear his parents got hired at a company you wrote the coverage for. (ā€œLaserā€ means the stop loss or reinsurer applied different levels of coverage, possibly even excluded, to that person. The individual doesnā€™t know this, but the plan has higher costs owing to it.)

my point was a very expensive family cost of health care can change who the parents choose to work for. Huge companies with many employees can find a way to smooth $500K in added plan costs. (assume plan costs of $10K-$15K per employee on average.) Smaller employers canā€™t easily absorb such a higher cost and the employee who brings those costs might feel uncomfortable about it.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s anecdotal. Iā€™ve taken my 401k into account when switching jobs, and the job hopping raise always well made up for any money lost due to a vesting scheduleā€¦ which has been small or nothing. Most young actuaries I know (I think of myself on the younger side but guess Iā€™m slowly getting older now that Iā€™m out of my 20s) pay pretty close attention to their 401ks.

1 Like