All Things Coffee

Kirkland espresso seems pretty efficient costwise. 2.5lbs should be about 60 double shots of espresso @ 18 grams each. For $12 a bag, that’s only $0.20 a cup. And a lot less landfill waste.

You may see if there is a local option at Costco. My store carries some beans from KC… they don’t list the roast date but I would wager they are much fresher and still pretty inexpensive.

Yup, they carry a local option. This was one of the lighter roasts that I did not like in the espresso machine, but you helpfully made a point about brewing them at a higher temp, so that may have been my issue. It was good in the Technivorm.

1 Like

I roasted some of the green coffee beans i have on hand. The beans are a few years old, so i can’t really expect greatness, but thought I’d give them a shot at making a few roasts for the espresso machine. These are Ethiopian yirgacheffe beans, mentioned earlier, usually have a light roast, berry flavors, a bit delicate.

I made two batches in my air popper. Roasted them to second crack. Darker than they deserve, but i was curious how they would turn out in the espresso machine.

Darker roasts can be brewed a day or so after roasting. Lighter roasts should test longer, a couple weeks. Or so the internet tells me. I tried a cup this morning. It was ok. Tasted like coffee, nothing offensive, no fruity notes.

I’ll see how it goes the next week. I’m not thinking it will get better over the next few days, but it’s all new data.

Ill try and roast some more and stop after first crack. Maybe try a range of every 15 seconds from then to second crack. I’ve got 3-4 pounds of this stuff to play with.

Only problem with the roasting is it smells terrible and i need to be careful to not burn anything down. Fortunately the smell means I’m doing this outside on the patio, that limits the risk of the second issue. The hood of the popper melted a bit yesterday. Oops…