Alarm/snooze

F that

Wife used to be one of those people. I like sleeping as much as I can and get up on the first alarm. Neither worked for the other person so for the work week we snooze once as the compromise. When it is just me getting up I get to sleep an extra ten minutes because there are no snoozes

Then put your little hand in mine
There ainā€™t no hill or mountain we canā€™t climb

1 Like

I never ever feel awake when my alarm goes off nor when I wake up naturally. My snooze often goes off multiple times but itā€™s usually bc I accidentally hit the wrong button. Iā€™m really dumb at smart phones in the morning.

Me too! I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep, as well.

Iā€™ve been pretending I am waking up from yoga fenastama (sp) - or whatever it is called - when you fall into the ground while laying on your back at the end of the yoga session. Wiggling your fingers and toes. Thatā€™s been working on getting me up before the first snooze alarm - I was a 3-4 time snoozer that I thought was unhealthy

1 Like

I think you mean ā€œsavasanaā€

1 Like

I donā€™t use an alarm, but my kids come in at roughly the same time every day and I ā€œsnoozeā€ them repeatedlyā€¦ I answered 42

1 Like

Usually wake up between 5:50-6:20 naturally. Today woke up at 4:40 though. Itā€™s nice to have the house to yourself for a while. Usually go to bed between 10:15-11:15.

I still set a 6:40 alarm but canā€™t remember the last time I needed it.

Set an alarm every day, always wake up before it, but sometimes go back to sleep and hear it.

1 Like

just get a real clock.

1 Like

I tried one snooze for awhile, but just ended up annoyed at being half-awake awaiting the alarm.

:alarm_clock: :bump:

link to pdf

https://pdf.fivefilters.org/makepdf.php?v=2.6&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fyou-dont-lose-when-you-hit-snooze%2F600322458%2F&api_key=&mode=multi-story&output=pdf&template=A4&images=1&date=1&sub=&title=Your+Personal+Newspaper&order=desc&date_start=&submit=Create

chat gpt summary which is just about as long as the article itself

The article discusses a study conducted by researchers from the Department of Psychology at Stockholm University on the effects of hitting the snooze button on alarm clocks. The researchers aimed to investigate whether snoozing had any negative impacts on sleep quality, cortisol release, morning tiredness, mood, and cognitive performance.

The main points of the article are:

Introduction to Snoozing Habit:
Many people hit the snooze button on their alarms to get an extra few minutes of sleep.

Lack of Scientific Proof on Harmfulness:
Despite the common belief that snoozing is bad, there is no scientific proof to support this notion.

Stockholm University Study:
Researchers from Stockholm University conducted their own study to explore the effects of snoozing.

Unexpected Findings:
Contrary to assumptions, the study found that people who snooze on average sleep slightly shorter and feel more drowsy in the morning compared to those who never snooze.

No Negative Effects on Cortisol Release, Mood, or Sleep Quality:
The study did not find any negative effects of snoozing on cortisol release, morning tiredness, mood, or sleep quality throughout the night.

Two Studies Conducted:
The researchers conducted two studies. The first involved surveying 1,732 people about their snooze habits, and the second involved 31 people spending two nights in a sleep lab.

Positive Outcomes of Snoozing:
Participants who snoozed for half an hour in the sleep lab performed better on cognitive tests taken in the morning. There were no negative effects on mood, sleepiness, or cortisol levels.

Decreased Likelihood of Waking from Deep Sleep:
The study suggests that snoozing for half an hour may have positive outcomes, such as a decreased likelihood of waking from deep sleep.

Participants and Study Limitations:
The study included only people who regularly hit the snooze button and were used to going back to sleep quickly.

Conclusion:
The studyā€™s conclusion is that half an hour of snoozing does not have negative effects on night sleep or sleep inertia, and there may be some positive outcomes, such as improved cognitive performance and decreased likelihood of waking from deep sleep.

2 Likes

I am simply not a morning person. I need all the snoozes and itā€™s still tough to get out of bed, no matter how much sleep Iā€™ve gotten.

When I worked third shift, and even now when I let myself stay up all night and sleep most of the day, I wake up easily in the early evening feeling great. I never feel that way on a normal sleep schedule.

2 Likes

I donā€™t snooze, for a sole purpose: not to lose.
Also, waking up wife is not acceptable, as she can never get back to sleep, and I gotta hear about it. Sheā€™s up earlier during the week. Iā€™m up Saturday early for some community volunteering.

1 Like

I was a snooze button person for decades. I was always a bit sleep deprived during the work week, and needed the alarm to get up. My brain is not ready to get up immediately usually just from hearing an irritating sound once so I usually needed to hear it twice. Sometimes 3 times.

Now that I get the proper amount of sleep daily during the week, my body usually wakes me if I need to get up. This morning is an example: had to get up early for tailgate prep. I set an alarm, but I woke up on my own at 6:30 am before the alarm. I went to bed at 11ish so I normally might have slept until 7-8am barring other plans.

It sucks being sleep deprived. Thatā€™s been the biggest change in my lifestyle since retiring. It was not unusual for me to sleep until 11am-noon on the weekends because I was exhausted after the week. I almost never do that now, and itā€™s an unusual circumstance (usually either illness or staying out super late with friends who donā€™t typically do that anymore either)

2 Likes

Never use the traditional snooze, but if I wake up half an hour or so before the alarm is set for, I nay reset the alarm for an additional 15 minutes. Doesnā€™t happen often.

Iā€™m always afraid that if I start down the snooze route I will stay on it longer than I should. Itā€™s safer just to get up the first time.

Actually, what usually happens is I wake up 5-10 minutes before my alarm goes off, so I just get up then.

I havenā€™t had an alarm in a decade maybe two.

Iā€™m.up.between 5 and 6 without one. Every year or two I have a morning where I sleep in until 8 or 9, I just figure I needed the sleep.

1 Like

since i donā€™t commute any more, i only set an alarm for meetings 9:00 or earlier. just peace of mind, as i never sleep that late

when i did commute, never snoozed, as wife got up after me

1 Like