Advice on buying a monitor

I was thinking they may be hard to house break.

Here are a couple of resources to help you narrow down the search:

I do not think you need to spend that much. 1080p or 1440p. Maybe 144hz, this is a nice feature that gives smoother onscreen activity regardless of work or games. You may want to post 3 or 4 models under consideration and let people chime in on which one is best, pros/cons, etc.

Thinking I might go for this one

This is sexier, but probably not any better, and it costs more

As I understand it, some people in art need monitors with really accurate colors and/or very high resolutions.

And some committed gamers really care about refresh rate.

I think those are the people who need those super expensive monitors.

Well, last time i went cheap. And that monitor is great for spreadsheets, but when i edit photos and play video games, i kinda wish I’d gotten one with better color.

I’m neither an artist nor a committed gamer, but it turns out color matters to me.

For whatever it’s worth, this is the monitor I use for my work PC:

…and this is my primary (of 4) monitors on my personal PC:

I really, really like ultrawide monitors. (I wish ultrawide 5k monitors were reliably available.) HDR helps, I think, with graphics quality, but I’m not probably not a connesieur of color. My gaming is primarily Cities Skylines and Crusader Kings, and the occasional old arcade game via a Mame emulator, so my monitor priorities may not align with others’.

1 Like

Because i want to be able to shove the monitor completely to the side of the window when it’s not in use, i care a lot that the width is no more than 27".

I think an ultrawide would be nice to work on, but not nice enough to wreck the esthetics of the room when I’m not using it.

It sounds like 27" is the preferred size. 1440p monitors are popular for that size. The Asus posted above should have good picture quality but only a 75hz refresh rate. For that price you should be able to find 144hz. Since you mentioned poor picture quality on a prior purchase it is probably wise to avoid any TN displays. IPS is considered the best, VA 2nd, TN 3rd. TN has trouble with color quality and viewing angles are worst among the 3 display technologies.

I bought the Asus. Refresh rate has never been an issue for me. Color quality has been. This looks like it will suit me. Winter is coming, and I’m looking forward to curling up with Minecraft again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I paid $320 for it, from microcenter.

Not sure whether to post this here, or in annoyed thoughts. But I resolved the issue, so I guess I’ll post it here.

I got the monitor, it looks great, and it #%^& wouldn’t connect to the Mac. The monitor and the laptop just didn’t see each other. I know they both work, because the monitor works with two PCs, and the Mac talks fine to the cheapie monitor upstairs, using that thunderbolt port. But using the same damn cable, it won’t talk to this one.

(Also, the first monitor I bought failed after two weeks – half of the screen just died – and Microcenter replaced it. And neither would talk to the Mac, so I assume it’s not some funky issue with the physical port on the monitor.)

On a whim, I decided to check if it would make a difference if I bought a mini-displayport cable. You’d think the Thunderbolt cable would be backwards-compatible, but computers have done stranger things. And upstairs, while I’m using the thunderbolt cable, I’m not actually connecting it directly to the monitor, but to a hub, which then connects to the monitor.

Woo hoo! it works. I bought both mini-to-mini and mini-to-displayport, and they both work. So it’s definitely a protcol-through-cable issue. And now everything works. But boy that was an annoying problem to debug.

Holy cow… that sounds incredibly annoying! Glad you found a solution.

Oh, weird. Discourse hides my “cursing”. If I quote it, I can still see all the characters. But it only shows the “#” sign above.

I wondered about that!

Test 1 (direct typing of characters):
#%^& %^&

Test 2 (escaping everything after # using ):
#%^& %^&

Based on the above, it appears that the channel through which you’re posting (I’m doing this through a PC), I wonder if the channel is parsing the “non-standard” text as “special characters” that need to be escaped (which may not be the case when quoting) to display . . . Just a thought . . .

:aypi: To me, using a mac, your Test 1 and Test 2 look the same. Just in case they don’t look the same to you, I’m attaching a screen print of what I see.

They look the same to me too, but note that what I typed in the second included the escape character for each of the symbols. So, I’m guessing that the platform that I’m using is parsing the escape character in Test 2 and is doing nothing with the characters in Test 1.

But not sure what “pathway” Lucy was using to get to this forum and if something in that channel was parsing those characters out as “special non-printable characters” before the post was processed by this platform.

I use a lot of pathways. I use Chrome on a Mac, Edge on two different PC’s, and both Firefox and Chrome on Android.

I’m thinking it might somewhere in this chain . . . and more specifically, then Android angle than the browser (although, it could be an interaction of both).

Did you post from your phone for that “#” thing?

You think I remember which device I used for a particular post?

:rofl:

No, but it wouldn’t have surprised me if you now tried to post that expression from multiple devices and see what happens. (Even, if you were trying such an experiment, identifying the device with each post. Even as non-tech savvy as I am, I would not include the new or old monitor on the list of devices to post from. It’s been less than a year that I’ve has a phone I could post from, and don’t think I have ever posted from it. Maybe never even read GoActuary on it. I have used it to make phone calls.)