Adulting someone else's kids is hard

The weekend visits with m and M. TL;DR - it was really good, required serious discussions at times, and required impromptu role playing.

m and M are at separate universities 3 hours apart. We hotel near the middle. The plan is to see M on Thursday and Saturday because it’s Parents Weekend, m on Friday because it’s the only day he has free. We have stuff for them that they’ll need, and a few things they might want that they can look through briefly. We have a couple critical things to get done: (1) get M’s mail finally forwarded correctly, and (2) set up checking and savings accounts for both so they have a reliable place to keep money and they know no one else can touch it [other than Mrs. Hoffman - because they specifically request one of us be on the account with them].

Thursday: we see M. Can’t get mail forwarding done; we have to go find something that shows she’s actually at the new address and the prior notice that got sent timed out so that won’t work. Aggravating, but we’ll work around it. Bank accounts get done … or so we thought. [Back to this in a second.] We go to lunch with M and her friend, who’s a guy. NOT HER BOYFRIEND. Just a friend, who’s a guy … who she likes, but she hasn’t told him because she doesn’t know how he feels - even though the entire time at lunch it’s painfully obvious they like each other. Walk around campus, meet several of M’s friends. Go to M’s dorm, figure out she doesn’t have [list of things] but she swears she doesn’t need them and then says “I’ll figure something out.” This triggers an immediate discussion; her mom said the same thing, which usually meant stealing from the kids’ funds or grifting off someone else. We talk, she understands “I’ll figure something out” is a permanently prohibited phrase. We go to Wal-Mart and buy stuff she needs and is really grateful because “I really didn’t know how I’d get some of this.”

Thursday night, M has band practice (she’s in flag corps), we go watch. It was enjoyable. M also has to go to a recital for one of her music classes. We’re supportive bonus parents so of course we’ll go. I’m not saying I regret that - M is a bonus kid, I’ll be as supportive as I possibly can especially right now - but outside of that it was a once in a lifetime experience. Not that I didn’t know I wasn’t an opera person before, but that hour was the longest 3 hours I’ve had in a little while.

Friday, we go to see m at his college. We get bank accounts set up, after angst from m over how much money is going to be in the accounts. We also find out Mrs. Hoffman is not named on M’s account, other than as a “pay to upon death” so now Saturday morning has to make room for that - and, requires going to a different town where a branch will be open. m also expresses concern about us spending money on things he needs and perhaps even buying tickets to a musical that night; I immediately pull to the side of the road and state it is not m’s place to worry about that, if I have a problem spending money I’ll say so, but we’re in good financial shape and knew we were going to be spending this money and it’s OK. m understands, we go spend money on him and after initial reluctance to get anything picks out a few things he really wants.

We otherwise tool around town, hit [Mrs. Hoffman’s guilty fast-food pleasure], take m out to eat (which he tried to say “it’s going to cost money” and then realized I didn’t care and he enjoyed it), and went to the musical that night. It was very good, much more enjoyable than the opera recital. We go to leave that night, m kept saying “I don’t want you guys to go” with tears streaming down his cheeks. I felt like shit leaving, so good-bye took well over 30 minutes.

Saturday - we go back to see M, who on Friday revealed she has a boyfriend! You know, that guy we met that was not her boyfriend, he was just a friend … who was a guy … who she really liked. Get mail stuff straightened out, get banking stuff straightened out. Walk around campus, see/meet more of M’s friends. M has to go get ready for the music presentation later; we go talk to financial aid and other departments and gather critical information we’re going to need down the road. Music presentation that afternoon; different band and choir ensembles. It was very good. That ends, we meet the boyfriend’s parents.

I don’t remember how we got introduced, if we were “aunt and uncle” or “bonus parents” or whatever. Doesn’t matter. We’re standing in as M’s parents for this. Boyfriend’s parents knew about M because he’d talked about her a lot. They knew some of the stuff going on around her, certainly not all the gritty details. They’re incredibly appreciative of what we’re doing; I comment we’re doing what people should do, we’re just glad they didn’t close ranks and shut everyone out and they’re letting all of us help. Great conversation, everything goes well, and the whole time we’re both thinking um, this is weird, we’re playing mom and dad here to his mom and dad, we’ve barely done that with our kids, I’m so glad [dead mom] and [deadbeat stepdad] aren’t here for this, it would be a fucking disaster. Go to the game, more conversations getting to know each other and such. Mrs. Hoffman and his mom swap phone numbers for future talks. We take M and her boyfriend to her dorm, drop her off and come back to the hotel where after 6 days of running we’re exhausted and sleep all the way until 8am.

9 Likes

:rofl:

We also help with kids of single parents; and when it’s clear the kid wants a “title” for us (or if the parent insists on some form of title), we go with aunt and uncle; and we there after will refer to them as our nephew or neice.

I think it would be a similar dynamic for a step-parent when there is still some dysfunction with the other biological parent. At least, I got that sense whenever I interact with my son-in-law’s step-father.

2 Likes

Also maybe she was slightly concerned about what embarrassing thing you might say or do if she didn’t make it clear that their relationship was undefined. Parents can do that and stand in parents are probably even more unpredictable from a 19 year-old’s perspective.

Glad they got it figured out though.

1 Like

No, she hadn’t told him she likes him and he hadn’t told her he likes her. She’d told us she likes him, so we knew that going into meeting him - but we weren’t (and aren’t) going to embarrass her for that.

Her stepfather? Would have blurted it out within 60 seconds and then been are you going to ask her out? Are you going to ask him out? I’ll ask him/her out for you but loud - like, “the person working drive-thru on the other side of the building, across like 3 walls and a couple of corners, would have heard him” kind of loud. But, she also would not have brought the friend (or anyone else) to lunch with the stepfather. I don’t know she’d have brought him to lunch with the mom because of her stench and they’d be indoors.

Taking a day to meet one of the kids, who has 1 day free for fall break, to do name change stuff and other clean-up of things.

Poor kid thinks it’s fun hanging with me. They really are scarred from this summer.

4 Likes

Awww, I’ve never met you (that I know of) but I’m pretty sure you’re selling yourself short here.

Long weekend, a lot of driving, but productive on a number of fronts. m finally has their legal name on their driver’s license, etc. and we’re getting copies of their past year’s tax return. Also had m sign a limited financial POA so we can talk on their behalf on things that have / will come up, instead of them being at college and having to answer everything without not knowing what’s going on / learning about something for the first time. We’ll have to do the same with M later, but that’s for another day.

Why a POA for them? So we can deal with accounts that their mom had them sign up for, and then ran up charges that they didn’t know anything about, and then left them with the debt. :slight_smile: And anything else she did under their names or “with their consent” that we may have to clean up, or anything they may get dragged into because of stuff their mom did. Which brings me to: m was going through stuff we’d cleaned up and found their dad’s wallet, which somehow we didn’t see. OK, fine - they have their dad’s wallet, very happy. And then m opens it up and finds credit cards with their name on it. :slight_smile: And credit cards with M’s name on it. :slight_smile: And apparently, m knew nothing about one of them. Which, all of the support parents knew about because we’d had them pull their credit reports and then we looked through to see what was on so we could plan accordingly, but m acted as if they didn’t know anything about it and were surprised to see it. And m called M to let them know, and M didn’t know anything about it either. :slightly_smiling_face: Not something we were trying to hide per se, but definitely not something we were throwing at them, oh by the way, I know you’re grieving losing your mom, but do you know she did _______ and ______ and _______ and ________ and … to you, she really was a piece of shit and we’re glad she’s dead? Well, anyway, have a good night, love you both, have a good day tomorrow!

Only other major drama: M called last night, asking if they could go out and get something to eat with friends. :expressionless: Which, I get, they’re utterly freaked out about spending money, and they tried I swear, I won’t use the debit card again, I’m going to cut it up and put it away after this and we had to have a discussion on spending and it concluded with "go out with your friends, go get something to eat, enjoy it guilt-free, tell us how great it was … and do not cut that card up, you’ll need it for things yet. And, they did go out and enjoy food and were glad they went out - which, they’re a college kid, they should be able to enjoy little things like that.

8 Likes

I think we’re going to end up filing something on both kids for identity theft because of their mom. I also think we should probably try to pull their mom’s credit report to see what all is there - which, I think we might be able to swing but it’s going to take some work - but could help provide additional info backing up the claim of identity theft since she’d probably run up everything she could and had to go to exploiting their names. [I’m open to feedback and discussion on this.] I would vaguely like to dig into the accounts she has to see what she’s been doing there, but I suspect that’s going to take a lot more work. Also, I don’t know if that’s really going to tell me anything we need to know going forward. [I’m also open to feedback and discussion on this. Refresher / clarification - Mom died without a will and they’re not in a community property state. It appears she had a bunch of credit cards, but all in her name, and then who knows what on top of that. Of course, if anything is in the stepfather’s name, that’s his problem - which, in a perfect world, they all would be. But that’s a rant for another time.]

m admitted last night they were gutted when they opened up that wallet and saw those credit cards with their name on it. They didn’t say it outright, but they realized what their mom had done because they said “now I get why you wanted that POA” and “I’m glad you had me sign that.” I didn’t realize Mrs. Hoffman was on a video call when m told M about the credit cards, but she said M visibly shut down. Already not helping that M is trying to actively ignore both the reality of her mom being dead and the reality of what her mom put them through; I’m sure telling her, look, we need to say your identity was stolen because your mom did a bunch of shit in your name and you shouldn’t be on the hook for that will go just fine. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Having to state that your oarent stole from you would be hard. Harder still in the immediate aftermath of their passing. Just rough stuff all around.

1 Like

Reading on the credit report thing, it looks like you need to be a person authorized to act on behalf of the deceased/their estate.

Does the POA extend to such? Otherwise with the kid’s explicit consent you’re probably fine to fill it out on their behalf assuming they are authorized.

Experian - Personal Information seems like the easy way if that works, How to Obtain a Deceased Person’s Credit Report - Experian has the snail mail address and links to the other 2 bureaus.

I assume you’ve reported the fraud to police? Even if she’s dead, I assume there is value in a paper record that the kids aren’t abusing the fraudulent credit.

I don’t think I can use the POA to establish control of the deceased’s estate. Since she left no will, I think I’d have to go to court to get control of the estate, which probably means we’d have to fight the stepfather for control because he’d argue just on principal. I can use it to protect their interests if something comes up affecting them re: their mom’s estate, but there’s no assets (there’s a house that’s completely trashed, has back taxes and a lien on it and would cost more to pay off and rehab than it’s worth); if things got to that point the only thing I’d do is move on the kids’ behalf to have the estate declared insolvent. We have that there in case someone tries to go after the kids re: their mom’s debts, so we can intervene and tell collectors go piss off.

I may just call Experian and see what I can find out; then if one of the kids has to make the contact - even if just to authorize me to talk - then we go that route.

We’re working on contacting the credit bureaus, I’ve got a letter drafted that they need to sign. The accounts are closed, so it’s not like they can run up more charges. One debt collector has been notified we think it’s fraud and I’ve demanded proof m rang up the charges, got statements, etc. So far, we’ve not heard anything back but I’ll also leverage the fact that m had a legal name change before accounts were set up and the accounts are in their dead name - but that’s where I’d like their mom’s credit report to point and say look, she exhausted all her avenues, she started using the kids’ names instead.

2 Likes

I finally got a hold of someone at a major credit reporting bureau. Because, apparently talking to a live person isn’t a thing at two of them. Going to work on getting the mom’s credit report ASAP - partially because I want to see what shit she had on it, but also because one bank said “send that to us so we can reference that on the fraud claim … which, you’ll have to have m call and talk to us about.”

Talking to the kids this morning, I looked at Mrs. Hoffman and casually said I wonder when they last had physicals or any kind of a checkup. And then I got the “don’t you fucking dare make me think about that” look from Mrs. H, who then asked the kids - who … yep, neither one has any clue. :man_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: And this really isn’t a shock, because why would mom worry about the kids health when :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:? So, we’re going to have to figure out when they can get those done.

2 Likes

So did mom sign off on any medical requirements, such as vaccines or physical forms? You could probably trace fraud back to the high school, if you needed more evidence for the courts.

BTW, awesome job you 2 are doing.

5 Likes

Dentists? I’d be most acutely worried about dentists. Do they regularly brush in their daily life? It’s 100% possible that wasn’t ingrained into them.

2 Likes

I think we did find vaccination records. They would have had to have those updated before going to college. [Well, I’d like to think they did - then I remember which states they’re going to college, and I can see as part of being Real 'Muricans those states would have rolled back things. But, I’m going to stay optimistic on this.]

The colleges might have doctors for the students. Can they do a whole checkup? Guessing they could be persuaded, given a short summary of their background.

1 Like

One - might be able to do it on-campus; if so, then it’s a timing thing. [Added to the list of questions to be asked today.]

The other - won’t be able to do it on-campus, because the college expects everyone to have private insurance so it doesn’t accept Medicaid.

Could they sign up for the “student” Group health insurance? Probably too late now, and something that costs extra when enrolling.

1 Like

I don’t know how most colleges work but the ones my kids went to you were automatically opted into (and charged for) the “group student health insurance” unless you provided evidence that you had outside coverage.

2 Likes

I did check this, neither one offers student insurance. Or if they do, it’s not totally evident / buried into fees somewhere. [Or, heaven forbid, it was available and their mom opted them out of it - which, I could totally see. Yes, we’re trying to untangle that piece right not, too.]