Actuary Sighting

It is tempting… (although honestly the drinks with other GoAs is at least as much so)

:tfh:

I can try that, but that will result in fewer results, none of them me.
(after search)
OK, my linkedin comes up.

Wow I googled my name and my linked in profile was like the 3rd thing that came up. Of course I’m on my phone, in not that big of a city, and I think google knows that?

I am finishing up binge watching Parks and Recreation. In S7E8 Ben Wyatt says to the accounting firm hiring manager : “Hey, it is actuarially very good to see you guys”. At least the accountant laughed.

6 Likes

That guy was willing to laugh at EVERYTHING Ben said. My god seasons 6 and 7 were terrible

1 Like

Cross-post:

In an email from these guys: https://www.fullstackmodeller.com/

unnamed

4 Likes

Actuarial work isn’t fun? Heresy!

The only parking attendant I remember is the one from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and that seemed pretty fun, much funner than my actuarial job.

2 Likes

I think Mike was a parking attendant in the first season of better call Saul.

true dat

Andrew Tate and the Alpha Men even!

Around 3:55

New York Times (on the need for Kamela Harris to be ready to take over ) -

He is, thankfully, experiencing “very mild symptoms” from the coronavirus, but it’s still hard to ignore actuarial reality and the plain fact that he appears frailer than a man or woman of 60 (or, for that matter, his 57-year-old vice president).

Actuaries - keeping it real.

Hughes was later revealed to have worked as a consultant and actuary for the University of California in Oakland during the 2000s, under the name Barry Timothy O’Beirnes. Colleagues there remembered him in only positive terms.

1 Like

I was watching episode 4 of Poker Face on Peacock and there’s an actuary from “Nationwide” in it.

2 Likes

I want to watch this. Need to find a friend with a Peacock account.

I started watching and thought just the first episode was out. I was happy to see I could watch more. Then I thought maybe they released the whole season and was sad to see only the first four episodes are out. New ones drop on Thursdays I think.

Not only that but they were in Kenosha, WI. Not to many Actuaries in Kenosha, especially from Nationwide. (I lived in Kenosha for the first 45 years of my life)

I haven’t seen the show but people do commute to Chicago and/or Milwaukee from Kenosha.

I have family that did for decades and it was even a plot point on ER when Mark’s first wife got a job in Milwaukee and was ready to give up on the marriage. His solution was to move the family to Kenosha so he could keep his job in Chicago and she could take the job in Milwaukee. (Not what ended up happening, but was Mark’s preferred solution.) Since I have family that did precisely that for years (she worked in Milwaukee / he worked in Chicago), it stuck with me.

Now if the show was depicting an actuary going to an office full of actuaries and the office was in Kenosha… no, that seems unlikely.

1 Like