Actuary Hate

aaand you lost me

2 Likes

Oh, right. I forgot what they’re really like.

2 Likes

The only actuary hate I’ve ever run across is from people who dropped out of actuarial programs. And not even all of those – I worked for a guy who was an actuarial drop out who was super-excited to have his own actuary. In general, I’ve found that non actuaries in insurance respect actuaries, and that non actuaries outside of insurance have no clue what an actuary is, and have no more emotional reaction than you would to any profession you’ve barely heard of.

One day … One day when i am powerful enough i will say this…

Just heard an interview on the radio with a musician whose father was an actuary and wanted him to be an actuary. When asked what an actuary the son had no idea.

Come on folks, at least explain to your adult children what you do!

1 Like

The father may have tried to explain it but the son’s eyes started to glaze over.

2 Likes

True

Does hating myself for writing actuarial exams count??? :grimacing: :clown_face: :broken_heart:

1 Like

My ten year old still asks me what I do. I am going to wait a few years before I tell him what an actuary does.

Meanwhile my six year old daughter asks me daddy why don’t you work… All you do is talk to people on zoom and play with your computer…

3 Likes

My daughter was really excited to help me color tables for a powerpoint one time. Now she’s always asking why we can’t do more of that.

There was one time a senior underwriter basically told my ex boss’s boss to stfu and stop being condescending, followed by the longest silence (there were 4 people on the call) that I ended up breaking by changing the subject.

Granted, my ex boss’s boss did have a condescending tone, but s/he was also very senior, and was probably doing it unintentionally.

And by ex I mean a previous company.

“What was the answer last year? What was the results?”

for a turkey, u go by days. So what was the answer yesterday?