Actuaries Mentioned in Presidential Debate

During the Presidential Debate, Biden said “the guy that the actuary of Medicare said, of Social Security, that if in fact he continues to withhold, his plan to withhold the tax on Social Security, Social Security will be bankrupt in 2023, with no way to make up for it,”. I was excited to hear our profession being mentioned during such an important debate, especially since most people I come in contact with have no idea what an actuary is.

yeah, i’ve seen the actuary of social security mentioned on facebook a bunch lately, so this isn’t entirely new. i think bernie sanders was posting about it and maybe some other dems on fb a few months ago.

Didn’t Bruce work with SS at some point? Maybe still?

Bruce is retired, but he stopped working for SS many years ago. He worked at an insurance company in New York after SS.

More specifically, Bruce worked at NYLife for a long time before he retired, and worked there longer than he worked at the SSA.

Thanks. I just remembered that he had some good information about how SS worked. I wasn’t sure whether he actually worked for SS or worked with them in a consulting role.