Actuarial Chess Club

That… was about as ridiculous as expected. I’m impressed that someone actually made a functional game out of such an insane idea.

In other news, I just stumbled across this… uh… free flash game of questionable quality. Basically the developer made up about a hundred new pieces, sort of like making a magic deck, you pick which ones to play. Sadly it does not have a lot of active players, despite being obviously superior to normal everyday chess.

I’m a fan of this random variants site, but it doesn’t have enough activity to be sure of a game:

I play correspondence chess schemingmind.com, which has a wealth of variants and a great (mid-sized) community. After a free trial period, it does eventually require a (reasonable) annual membership.

1 Like

Since we’re talking about variants, does anyone wanna play Giveaway (anti-chess) on chess dot com?

Sorry, I can honestly say that that is probably my worst variant of them all.

I was a HUGE fan of Kriegspiel (Kriegspiel (chess) - Wikipedia) back in the day, and I enjoy 3-check a bit. There are a number of other variants I find fun. But I have always been awful at giveaway.

I made a thread inviting any and all to play me at 960.

So far, I don’t think any one has taken me up on it…and not because they’re intimidated by my chess skills.

:astonished: I guess our game from April 27th, 2021 meant nothing to you!!

1 Like

Send me a challenge request @1695814.

Anyone up for some Knightmare? That’s a favorite of mine and @Rick_Groszkiewicz.

Oh and @J0EBL0W’s cause I know how much he LOVES horsies :wink:

I remember playing that when I was like 12 years old. That was fun.

Dunn.

Horsies are too hard to defend against. They love forks galore.

Antichess, suicide, loser’s chess are also some of my least liked and lowest skilled variants. This is the first variant I learned as kid. And I was “good”. But now that I play good players, I routinely struggle.

My favorites are LaoTzu and Racing Kings. I also enjoy Kriegspiel.

All of these are on schemingmind.com.

Here’s the full list of variants on schemingmind.

1 Like

I’m currently in first place in the 2021 Variants Tournament there with 1.5 rounds to play. I have never won before, but usually finish in the top 5 or so.

1 Like

I used to play on SchemingMind, and was going to reference it in this thread and offer to play some variants. Except, whoops, I don’t know my username any longer and I’ve definitely never paid since they went not-free, so it’s kind of not going to do anything for me. I wouldn’t get enough value out of it to make it worth the subscription price. I barely get enough use out of my free chess(dot)com account as is.

I just created a general tournament for everyone to join. I know there was some demand for a no-vacation “just for fun” tournament and I said I’d create one for the middle of this season of the more ‘official’ GoA tournament.

It will be large groups, so up to 11 games at a time depending on how many people join. No rating requirements or separation. 3 days per move. No vacation. Just for fun!

Join here: https://www.chess.com/tournament/big-ol-actuarial-tourney/join/b69db7

I also sent an invite out on the chess website. Tentative start date on Feb 1st.

Just crossed 2,200 on puzzles and am getting closer to 1,400 on Daily mode. Slowly but surely improving!

2 Likes

I’m so bad at doing anything fast. I’ve been doing a ton of the puzzles this week and realize that once I hit like 30sec I tend to panic and make a move that wasn’t thought out. But then you get those gainz when you solve 'em fast

Bumping for more entries! 12 so far

In! As “thtevie”.

1 Like

@ALivelySedative you should join! Playing stronger players is a good way to get better.