20Q, the quarter-century edition

My grandma had one framed in her house…

1 Like

I had a great uncle who framed puzzles after he completed them.

1 Like

And Lucy is Soy’s grandma

1 Like

guess it! this is better than globe

I already asked too many questions.

The five foot drop thing wouldn’t be a problem while in the box, but outside of the box would cause some issues.

But given the breadbox answer is while in a box I think it’s consistent. And it wouldn’t damage it, just like putting the puzzle back in the box after finishing it doesn’t damage it

May as well debate it out for a bit.

Ok, I think jigsaw puzzle fits really well. I’m not sure I should be the next question-answerer, but I’m going to officially ask:

Is it a jigsaw puzzle?

2 Likes

If that’s it we can draw straws for who picks next. I’ll do it if no one else wants to, but if someone else wants a turn then go for it!

The puzzle wouldn’t be damaged though. Some pieces may get lost, but lost <> damaged.

And your hard work in assembling it would be out the window, but the puzzle would be undamaged and could be reassembled.

It also sort-of fits the “temporary” hint. In that most people do break them down and put them back in the box. But debatably decorative because some people do frame and hang them.

Also, jigsaw puzzles are a good Covid quarantine / shutdown activity so perhaps Lucy is spending a higher-than-usual share of free time on them. I think they were selling out in the early days of Covid.

I kept coming back to board game for a while, but that always seemed a miss with a few of the answers. We have a few dozen puzzles and bought a bunch of them for covid but sort of got burned out on them.

Probably going to break a few out this weekend regardless of that is the answer.

1. Vorian_Atreides: Is it a physical object? Yes
  2. John.S.Mill: is it more dense than water No
  3. The_President: Is it smaller than a bread box? Yes, generally
  4. Vorian_Atreides: Is it alive or alive at some point in time? No
  5. John.S.Mill: is it man made Yes
  6. The_President: Is it decorative? Yes
  7. John.S.Mill: can you cut it with a pair of scissors that depends, but probably
  8. The_President: Would it be damaged if you dropped it on a hard floor from 5 feet? No
  9. Vorian_Atreides: Is it generally found indoors (as a decorative item)? Yes
  10. John.S.Mill: is it generally found in a specific type of room? No
  11. The_President: Does the object have movable components? Yes
  12. twig93: Is it typically found in a home? (given the object) Yes
  13. The_President: Does the object contain or conceal other objects (if that is not its current state, is that an intended use of it)? No
  14. twig93: Do most homes have this object? I doubt it
  15. John.S.Mill: is most of it typically made of plastic/rubber? No
  16. twig93: Is it made of wood? (Official) Not typically
  17. The_President: Alright, is it made of fabric? No
  18. Vorian_Atreides: Would this object be found in a public place (like a school, library, court house, etc.)? Sometimes, yes
  19. John.S.Mill: does it have scent or odor No
  20. The_President: Jigsaw Puzzle Yes

I dunno, you asked 5.
John S. Mill asked 6.
VA asked 4.
Twig asked 3.

But twig has the conviction:

So I guess one of you should take the next turn. I guess twig gets right of first refusal, since she was willing to officially guess.

I was afraid you wouldn’t guess, and I was going to give credit to one of Soy, John, or ThePrez, because I thought these were good guesses:

So, anyone here who hasn’t played with jigsaw puzzles?

Fwiw, most of them are cardboard, but i own several wooden jigsaw puzzles. And the first one i ever played with, a clock, was wooden. So i didn’t want to say “no” to that. (I have seen plastic jigsaw puzzles, but that’s really unusual, and i thought it would be misleading if i didn’t deny that.)

I honestly have no idea what fraction of homes contain a jigsaw puzzle. I tried googling, and based on the number sold annually, i thought it was ambiguous. Enough are sold that maybe most homes have one? But it seemed unlikely.

We have several. My wife enjoys them, so I end up getting her a couple every year as presents for different occasions. They get put together, then put back in the box and into the closet - most likely never to come out again.

I’ve thought that it would be nice to have a sort of “library” for jigsaw puzzles - but I can’t come up with an efficient way to figure out if the puzzle came back with all of the pieces. There would be very little more frustrating than finding out that the last piece you need just isn’t there.

Get a frame, and have people return it complete, not boxed. I’ve borrowed an especially nice jigsaw puzzle, and that’s how we did it.

I also have an old wooden jigsaw puzzle that was circulated in a (for pay) library during the depression. It says inside the box what the fine is per missing piece. I think it was 25 cents to borrow (which was a meaningful fee during the depression) and 25 cents per missing piece. And a late fee.

Color me surprised.

Surprised at what it is? Something else?