20Q Game 33

Q1 - MayanActuary - Is it a physical object? - Yes* (some might argue)
Q2 - Soyleche - Are you likely to be within 50ft of one today? - No
Q3 - John.S.Mill - did the object category exist 200 years ago? Yes
Q4 - Soyleche - Is it unique? - No
Q5 - 1695814 - Is it something that can be purchased? - No (a person would not likely be able to purchase - though it might be for sale in some instances)
Q6 - Lucy - Is it man made? - No
Q7 - SredniVashtar - Is it a thing that lives and dies? - Yes
Q8 - SredniVashtar - Is there one in the Washington DC zoo? - No (at least not per their website)

does it lay eggs

Q5 - 1695814 - Is it something that can be purchased? - No (a person would not likely be able to purchase - though it might be for sale in some instances)
Q8 - SredniVashtar - Is there one in the Washington DC zoo? - No (at least not per their website)
Q9 - John.S. Mill - Does it lay eggs - No

Is it’s natural range in North America?

Q10 - Lucy - Is it’s natural range in North America? - No

Darn. I was hoping for a dinosaur.

Is it an animal?

It lives and dies. (And doesn’t lay eggs.) Are you asking if it’s not a plant, or are you asking more narrowly in it’s a mammal? I can read “animal” either way.

There are lots of things that live and die besides animals. Including plants. Also fungus, bacteria, and other more nebulous things like ideas and religions and viruses and corporations.

And since some would argue that it’s not a physical object, it seemed likely to me that we’re not talking about an animal, yet people seem to be assuming it must be an animal. How can it be arguable that an animal is not a physical object?

Unless it’s some mythical animal like a mermaid or a unicorn or a Pegasus or a centaur or something I guess.

I don’t understand your question about mammals. Are you asking if I’m so dumb that I don’t understand that mammals are a subset of animals?

I’m still thinking about why you brought up the word “mammal”.

Are you thinking that mammals don’t lay eggs and all other animals do? Is that why you brought up mammals?

There are counter-examples of both kinds.

Platypuses are mammals that lay eggs. I’m honestly not sure if there are others, but that’s one I know of.

Lots of snakes and lizards and some frogs and insects (including aphids) give birth to live offspring. Many kinds of sharks give birth to live offspring. Guppies give birth to live offspring and I think several other kinds of fish too.

Male seahorses give birth to live young although the female deposits the eggs in the male, so I suppose that could be construed as “laying eggs”, but not really in the way that a bird lays eggs. It’s more analogous to how many males (of both egg laying and live birthing species) deposit sperm into females.

I’m not aware of any birds that have live young. That might be a category of animals we can eliminate. Still leaves mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, and invertebrates. As well as non-animals that live and die.

And it being questionable whether it’s a physical object has me questioning whether any of the above is relevant.

For the is it an animal question, I’ll answer yes and not count it in the 20. The physical object to me was obvious yes at first but a number of sites said animal are not objects rather their own separate class. That’s where the some would argue comes from though I think it was stupid argument since an animal is clearly a solid form that can be touched. Anyway sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Does it have an average lifespan of more than 15 years?

No, I’m saying that some people distinguish between “birds and animals” and mean “mammals” when they say “animals”. And some people categorize fungi as animals and others don’t. I just thought “animal” was a word with a fuzzy definition and it it would be worth clarifying what you meant by it.

2 Likes

Q10 - MayanActuary - Average life expectancy more than 15 years - No

I’ll clean up table when at computer it’s a pain on the iPad.

Q11 - MayanActuary - Does it have an average lifespan of more than 15 years? - No

is it carnivorous

Q11 - MayanActuary - Does it have an average lifespan of more than 15 years? - No
Q12 - John.S.Mill - is it carnivorous? - No

Does it live in the water?