2024 MLB Baseball Thread

Well, it does turn off the interest from other teams – they’re not even going to try – and turns the decision into a completely financial one, but also ultimately lowers the bidding prices.
Surprised that RSox and NYY were not “interested,” or merely kept their mouths shut?
Better that the competing teams don’t know who each other are, maybe?

I wouldn’t offer him a contract longer than five years, but I also would include options for years going on forever, depending on whether he earned that extra year or not.

I think a lot of teams might have not been in the sweepstakes to begin with because they didn’t want to make an extremely long term offer for a 29yo player.

So basically you don’t want him.

I’m guessing his deal will be 12 years with a player optout clause at some point. It’s going to be very Ohtani friendly whatever it is.

1 Like

I would. And I’d want to pay him what he is worth, which, this year, should be the highest amount of all MLB Baseball players. For five years. Then, I’d add an additional year at the highest amount if I so desired after every year. Could be a ten-year contract. Another team can be like LAA and not be able to make a team around him that will go deep into the playoffs every year and go broke and play like shit after they trade him in five years and gather draft picks and win the World Series (maybe) in ten years.
But the MLB Baseball doesn’t work they way I would work it.

No it does not. So under the current MLB framework of contracts, you don’t want him.

You want to change the way MLB contracts work in general.

Yes.
Will I get what I want? No. Not a problem.
I admit that it would be difficult to have players paid for their future worth instead of their past worth. After five years, at that age, the future worth is highly variable, risky to a club. Just trying to mitigate the risk.
The options could also alternate between club and player. There are all sorts of alternatives to “guaranteed X years of contract, whether you play or not, whether you play here or not.”

But, stupid billionaires will spend stupid money and try to explain (and fail) why it’s smart.

Sounds like Toronto is a done deal.

Oh no, someone in Toronto leaked! Off with their heads! On to the next team.

Actually it was the Dodgers who leaked it…again.

Oh, well, Good thing he doesn’t have to live there in the winter. Though, April and October…

yeah but their home games are indoors. Maybe he misses snow living in LA. Who knows.

1 Like

Just a hundred miles away. Snow is fun, for visiting.

Field is turf, though. He won’t play as long, though he’d still get paid.

Before we get to Ohtani’s eventual landing spot:
Um, yay, black folks in MLB Baseball?

Mostly for this man, not the players:

On the first floor of the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center in Room B3, there are about 15 booths set up and spread out over the concrete floor at MLB’s Baseball Technology Expo. As part of the multitude of things that occur over this week of events, companies are selling their wares, hoping to make inroads with the baseball community.

What is baseball technology, you ask? In 2023, it’s more than pitchcoms and fancy fungo bats. The kiosks feature such items as motion capture programs with data visualization charts to help hitters log pitching data. Phrases such s “astute biomechanical analysis” and “dynamic vision excellence” appear on boards and if it weren’t for all the graphical representation, you might not even know any of these products related to baseball.

One such product is Pocket Radar. A tool that ostensibly looks sort of like a digital umpire’s counter, it tracks not just throwing speed but also has an app functionality that can sync with other programs to help compile data all the way down to the types of pitches thrown. According to its promotional video featuring Oakland A’s manager Mark Kotsay, it’s clearly a multipurpose tool. I learned all this from the one brotha in the room.

“Over there you see more video of high school and how those guys are being trained and developed. But it’s really to give you a snapshot of where you are. And it’s quick and easy. And you’ll see here too, you have the ability … we have slo-mo ability,” the salesman explained. “We have tracking ability, like if you’re tracking bullpens or even a game. You’re able to track location and pitch type along with the velocity, too, so it gives you context with that. And then with that, it can take that information and then when you make video clips, or if you’re recording video, once it exports those video clips, it will import that into or embed that in your video clips so that you can see where it was, too.”
But this isn’t just any salesman. His name is Ethan Faggett and he used to play ball. A touch reluctant to relive his playing days, once he started, he reminded himself that his particular path to this room is one that many have not taken.

He’s an app engineer who used to be a pro ballplayer. From Fort Worth, Texas, he ended up playing in the Red Sox system and bounced around the minors and independent ball for a decade. Not knowing what to do with his life, he went back to school to become an engineer.

That’s when he got a call from Ben Cherington, who is now the general manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Then, he was the director of player personnel for the Red Sox. When talking about the chance he was given, Faggett becomes emotional.

“There’s very few people that have been on the field, whether it be Major League or minor league, and there’s very few people that have been developers that understand it, that can contribute and create things for it,” Faggett noted. “You have a lot more of those in those individual columns, but those that come together and do both of those, I’m not saying it’s a unicorn, but it’s closer to a unicorn than those two silos that we talked about.”

So, now he’s trying to get his app in more places, particularly in the youth game. He’s been a part of the front offices of the Red Sox and the Rangers, but understands how much adaptability matters.

“When I first got involved, I said, ‘I’m in player development and I will do player development because that’s what I love.’ I love the game. I love being around. But being around it, being honest, I needed to look out for myself because I’m an engineer and I’m in player development,” Faggett said. “But that was a good decision because, in essence, I could do this anywhere because this is about the data. This is about the technology. This is not about a label. This is not about a name on a jersey. This is about your understanding, your information, your experience, your ability. So that’s why I wanted to do that, because it’s more important about being able to work for whoever you want to work for, but also being able to be a contributing factor on that team.”

In recalling how he ever made it from the field to the world of application engineering, the tears came quickly, even surprising himself.

“[Cherington] extended the olive branch to me to give me an opportunity,” Faggett said, wiping his eyes. “The thing is, you can impact people’s lives. You can do a lot. It’s not what you’re supposed to do, it’s what you choose to do, how you help people that need help.”

Reports of Ohtahi’s signing with the Jays may have been premature.

Mariners!! It’s been the Mariners all along!!
Or not. WTF knows. I will simply wait for someone else to busy themselves refreshing ESPN or wherever, then report it to me.

1 Like

As expected, Ohtani signs $700 million, 10 year deal with Dodgers. Glad the Jays didn’t get him at that price. They can hopefully get some other good players for the $70 million annually they are saving.

US$700 million is almost C$1 billion and Jays’ ticket prices are in C$. They would have had to raise prices significantly even though Ohtani would put more bums in seats. Seating capacity is now smaller than in the days when they used to sell out (4 million fans per season).

About time that’s over.
Too bad I gave up Spectrum (exclusive rights for Dodger Baseball) for YouTubeTV. I’ll be able to watch, maybe ten games. A friend has Spectrum, and my bro-in-law has Spectrum. If need be, I can visit for a game.
Going to the park is out of the question.

Baseball is so much better to watch in person and Dodgers have a beautiful stadium. Why not go? Ridiculous prices or a long way to get there?

Give the Dodgers credit: when they wanted to overpay big, they left no question about it. It’s going to be awesome watching them still have to pay Ohtani for ~6 years + everything deferred after his elbow comes apart.

1 Like

Saw on ESPN that he wasn’t going to pitch next year, but would most likely bat. Isn’t that all there is? No designated fielders. Also said a lot of the $700,000,000 was deferred. Is that like Bobby Bonilla?