2022 SOA Board Elections

That’s what I ended up doing. I don’t even remember who I voted for anymore. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Now have looked at several, with very limited opinions. One thing struck me as extremely bizarre: Melody Prangley’s Questionnaire Page is entirely third person, and Candidate Page is primarily third person. Her Election Message, while short, is first person, as is her candidate video. I would prefer that all be first person. That said, overall I’m leading toward voting for her.

I wouldn’t hold third person construction against anybody. It’s just a style choice, and I can understand taking this approach. It can be standard when putting together RFPs, for example.

For the Board, I endorse Kelly Rabin. I have no other particular endorsements.

When I choose, I try to choose people from a variety of fields and geographies, as well as looking at their prior SOA volunteering.

Yeah, I can be biased by people I personally know (howdy, Kelly!), but I like to see some balance on the board.

1 Like

WTF? I just got this in an e-mail from the SOA

What does it mean that “New candidate messages are now available”??? Has anything changed since yesterday?

Life expectancy dropped another year! Haven’t you heard?

Now something has changed, but I don’t think it had changed when I looked before, even though I had already received the e-mail from the SOA about “new candidate messages”. Some candidates at least now have “Message One” and “Message Two”.

ETA: It looks to me like Melody Pranger’s message two is identical to her message one. I had been leaning toward voting for her, but if she isn’t interested enough or doesn’t have the time to tweak her pitch, isn’t that a big negative? Still, there are things I like, so perhaps she’ll get my vote anyway.

No, not in my opinion.

Thanks for the endorsement, @meep and @SteveWhite. I guess I’m outing myself after all these years but it’s a username too many places already and most of the receipts are gone at this point. :slight_smile: Please vote if you haven’t, and happy to answer any questions. I can’t endorse or comment on other candidates under campaign rules, except to say that I think it’s a well qualified slate overall. While I am an SOA insider and so possibly viewed as The Man, anyone who knows me knows I don’t do status quo. I don’t always get it right, but that’s why we test and learn.

I do not think the SOA Hub was a stupid idea in theory, but certainly it didn’t work out in practice. My recommendation is that any technology decisions be bifurcated from the Community model. What we did learn is that tech isn’t a requirement to facilitate community and professional networking. Maybe that’s a duh to many of you, but things have changed a lot since the last time this was tried.

Kelly

3 Likes

:bump:

Voting closes on Friday, Sept 9.

(And section elections are up, too – I have no particular endorsements for this one. I always check to see if people even bothered to fill out the candidate questionnaire - many don’t - then I look at people’s SOA involvement.)

I have voted. For Kelly Rabin and some others who looked reasonable, though all looked OK to me. And yes, for Melody Pranger, despite some issues I expressed here about her campaign pages.

Results! [via email]

|Elected members of the SOA Board of Directors|

170x170
Karen Burnett

FSA 2002, FCIA

170x170
Ian Duncan

FSA 2002, FIA, FCIA, MAAA, FCA

170x170
Lisa Kuklinski

FSA 1995, MAAA

170x170
Melody Prangley

FSA 2007, MAAA, EA, FCA

170x170
Kelly Rabin

FSA 2006, MAAA, CFA

President-Elect and Vice-Chair

170x170
Timothy Rozar

FSA 2004, MAAA, CERA

Timothy Rozar, FSA 2004, MAAA, CERA, of Chesterfield, MO, will serve as the 2022–2023 SOA President-Elect and Vice-Chair. He will be the 75th SOA president.

Rozar has served as a member of the SOA Board of Directors, as chair of the Product Development Section Council and InsurTech Task Force, and as a member of the Research Executive Committee, Technology Section Council, and Committee on Life Insurance Research. He is currently the Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff to the CEO at RGA Reinsurance Company.

John W. Robinson, FSA, FCA, MAAA, will serve as SOA president for the 2022–2023 term. Jennifer L. Gillespie, FSA, MAAA, will serve as past president for the 2022–2023 term. All elected board members will begin their duties at the 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference.

Past Three Years Vote Count

*The 2021 election cycle took place over two business weeks instead of three as in current and previous elections.

2 Likes

PE won by 61 votes over Hoffbeck. wow. (unless I read it wrong)

Yes, it was extremely close.

For the first round anyway (remember, this was preferential voting).

After the second round PE won by 350… which means even if Hoffbeck had been up by 61 she still would’ve lost.

I wonder how many folks (if any) automatically demote/ignore the ‘write-in’ candidates? That might be the difference here (or a complete coincidence, of course). Thoughts?

It’s a good question.
fwiw, I promote/prefer the ‘write-in’ candidates.

1 Like

I think it cuts both ways? Folks who don’t like the status quo will vote for the non-endorsed candidate and vice-versa?

Christine’s situation was a bit unusual in that she also had high name recognition from being on Survivor? However I don’t know if that would be a reason folks would vote for her?

Timothy was the only PE Candidate I did not know personally but his resume looked pretty solid.

I agree, but when there’s only one write-in candidate and two endorsed candidates, the write-in doesn’t have a scenario to pick up those second-preference votes (again, only for those who blindly promote/demote write-ins).

1 Like

Given the relatively small percentage of people who even bother to vote…

…[I am not finishing the sentence]

I mean, this is the first time there was a candidate that I have actually spoken to. If I were going off resumes… they ALL have good resumes.

it’s almost as if the rest recognize the speciousness of “choosing” between 1 of 3 impotent clones.