2022 NFL Football Thread

Per the report from nfl.com for the game (scroll down to the last MIA series):

I heard about it butt havnā€™t seen it (YSWIDT?)

Was the lineman pushed back into the flight path of the ball toward the punterā€™s foot, or was the kick just way off line- low?

OK, never mind. I saw it. The fault was made by the guy that backed himself into the punter, not adjusting for the lack of punting room from the end zone punt.

The line of scrimmage was the 1 so it was a short snap. The ā€œup backā€ in the formation was the guy who took it up the butt. Probably didnā€™t properly set up for the short snap.

the latter. Not as much low as the lineman was in the wrong place to start

Yeah, the line has to push harder when they are lined up at their own goal line, and that up back seems to be at fault. Heā€™s got to be more aggressive and step up into the oncoming rush, not fade back into his own punter.

ESPN had it as a blocked punt

Can someone answer thisā€¦Instead of flying out of the endzone, the same punt hits the blocker and comes to rest on the 20-yard line. What is the result?

19 yard punt

BUTt, if a defender touches it and it goes backward, it is a blocked punt
If the same defender touches it and it advances 19 yards, it is a 19 yard punt

Good question. I wonder if it is considered dead where it hits the offensive player which would be safety.

comes to rest? via the air? i stick to my original answer.

if it hits the ground in the endzone, i am not sure

I think you are correct.

SECTION 2 - TOUCHING A SCRIMMAGE KICK

ARTICLE 1. TOUCHING BEHIND THE LINE

Any touching of the ball behind the line of scrimmage by a kicking team player is legal, even if the ball has crossed the line and returns behind the line.

ARTICLE 2. FIRST TOUCHING BEYOND THE LINE

ā€œFirst touchingā€ is when a player of the kicking team touches a scrimmage kick in the field of play that is beyond the line of scrimmage before it has been touched by a player of the receiving team beyond the line. If the ball is first touched by a player of the kicking team, it remains in play. First touching is a violation, and the receivers shall have the option of taking possession of the ball at the spot of first touching, provided no live-ball penalty is accepted on the play, or at the spot where the ball is dead. First touching does not offset a foul by the receivers; if there is a live-ball foul by the receivers that is enforced, either before or after the first touching violation, the violation is disregarded, and the penalty is enforced as customary.

Notes:

1. If the receiving team gains possession, subsequently loses possession, and fouls after the kicking team gains possession, the spot of first touching is disregarded, and the kicking team retains possession. Enforcement of the receiving teamā€™s foul is as customary.
  2. There may be multiple ā€œfirst touchā€ spots if the kicking team touches the ball multiple times before it is touched by a player of the receiving team.
  3. A Team B player is deemed not to have touched a kick if such touching occurs in the immediate vicinity of the line in an attempt to block the kick.
  4. If a player of the kicking team touches the goal line with any part of his body while touching the ball, the ball is dead, and the result of the play is a touchback.
  5. The spot of first touching is normally the yard line at which the ball is when touched. If the first touching occurs while the ball is in the air above or beyond the goal line, and prior to the ball touching the goal line or the ground beyond the goal line, the spot of first touching is deemed to be the spot from which the touching player left the field of play, but in no event inside the receiving teamā€™s one-yard line.

Thank you for the answers. I thought it would be a safety due to illegal touching, but I was wrong.

This mess with Tua is going to hurt the league. If concussion protocols were followed, then the protocols are completely inappropriate. I dont know how they looked at his injury last week and decided live that it was a back injury

2 Likes

Yeah, I hope heā€™s ok, but thereā€™s certainly a lot of questions at this point.

The problem was with the Bills game. Tua was out on his feet late in the first half subsequent to his helmet hitting the turf. I thought that the protocol would easily force him out of that game. It was an obvious concussion. He started the 2nd half. IMO, there is no defense for the Miami Dolphins here.

I felt it was possible that Tua could be (legitimately) cleared for the Bengals game. His concussion in the Bengals game reminded me of Donald Parham last season. Fortunately I had seen his ā€œfencing responseā€ before, otherwise I would have been more alarmed.

1 Like

I didnā€™t watch the Bills game but it seems like you are likely correct.

You are correct that the ugliest part involved the decision during the Bills game. Since they allegedly cleared him under the concussion protocol during that game and labeled it a back injury, I imagine he was not in the concussion protocol this week leading up to the game.

I read 3rā€™s post to mean that Tua could conceivably have legitimately passed protocol had he been in it.

In terms of Concussion Protocol (protecting your players is another issue) - Does the team Dr make the determination or is there an independent league MD.?