2022 MLB Baseball Thread

Isn’t Grissom as SS? They let Donaldson walk to not block Riley, I’d be surprised if they spent on Swansby rather than replace him with Grissom.

He’s played more at SS than anywhere else in the minors, but has time at 3B and 2B as well. Given his size at 6’3" and 210lb, he wouldn’t be a prototypical SS but they might keep him there. He’d probably be more of a 3B guy, but with Riley inked long term that option is out.

KC did that in the 80’s

1 Like

Was that for George Brett and Dan Quisenberry?

and Willie Wilson, I believe

In the long run I think it screwed them

Good memory. Nice read on it here.

Brett, Quiz, & Wilson

but not as young as i remembered

Double No-no in Dominican Summer League (though home team won so visitors technically not credited with no-no.)

1 Like

This happened only once in MLB (1917) - dual 9-inning scoreless no hitters

Yeah, I was thinking about that one and looked it up. It turned out one of the two pitchers in that game had previously pitched the longest no-hitter - 17 innings. yikes.

I think this Mets-Braves battle for the NL-E should be fun down the stretch. Since June 1st, the Mets have played at a 100-win pace. During that time they’ve lost 7.5 games off their division lead. That’s nuts.

Since July 17th, every time the Mets have lost a game the Braves have won. 12-0 in that stretch

1 Like

So, Arte Moreno is looking to sell the Angels.
LA Times had a front-page article about it, as if it were ready-made like an obituary.
Then a columnist writes a wish list combination of other sports team owners for what the new owner should be.

Really? Arte did what any businessman would do. Made a 1000% investment return.
Oh, you wanted a winner? Go root for those fools spending over the cap and lighting their cigars with $100,000 bills up in Chavez Ravine.

Funny how columnists always worry about the spending cap. “Oh, Angels can’t dump Trout, but need to keep Ohtani, and keep salaries down.” No they don’t! Pay the fucking luxury tax if you want to win! You want to make this a tough game to win every year? Hard cap. That way, every team has a chance to win. That’s The American Way!

Some gems from the column:

The ideal new Angels owners would have the characteristics of several current owners across the major sports leagues.

They should have the passion of Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and of Clippers owner Steve Ballmer, courtside fixtures who act like fans and constantly advocate for their teams. Ballmer also deserves praise for taking the initiative to leave Crypto.com Arena, where the Clippers rank third in preference for playing dates behind the Kings and Lakers, for the privately financed Intuit Dome in Inglewood. Similar initiative could help the Angels on the field and off, especially in developing the area around Angel Stadium.

Well, what rich owner wants to go to 162 baseball games and act like you’re watching intently? The result is a George Steinbrenner who would fire a manager mid-game. No thanks.
Yes to privately financing stuff, though. New owner might take a look at the landscape and think Las Vegas or San Antonio might pay for a new baseball stadium.

The new Angels owner should have the financial strength and wisdom of Rams owner Stan Kroenke, whose extensive holdings include the Stanley Cup champion Colorado Avalanche. Besides having the money to turn the Avalanche into a winner, he had the patience to trust general manager Joe Sakic through a long and often painful rebuild. Kroenke signed Rams general manager Les Snead and coach Sean McVay to contract extensions after they won the Super Bowl and has spent wisely on cornerstone players such as Aaron Donald and Cooper Kupp.

The wisdom of the owner of an EPL soccer club who approves building an NFL Football stadium that cannot fit a FIFA-approved field when USA is in the running for the World Cup?
No money is needed in NHL to “build a winner.” It was all Sakic. It actually takes a lot of restraint NOT to overspend on overlong contracts.

The strong community orientation of Henry and Susan Samueli, who have owned the NHL’s Ducks since 2005, is another must for the Angels’ new owners. The Samuelis have made sizable donations to the engineering schools at UCLA and UC Irvine and support many health- and art-related causes in Southern California. Their example is worth following because it’s the right thing to do and because it would strengthen the Angels’ connection to a disenchanted fan base.

You know, rich people can do this without also owning a sports team.

On and on. But no mention of the Guggenheim Management team, putting out a winning team every season (except the first) that they’ve owned it. Winning is not nearly as important as an owner who uses social media, or a team with owners who inherited it (the two NY teams).

Oh, here’s another columnist:

The new owner could still make a statement before Ohtani is eligible to test the open market. The Dodgers showed how.

The Dodgers didn’t make the playoffs in their first season under Guggenheim Baseball Management, but their owners were quick to establish what they were about. The sale closed a month into the 2012 season. The Dodgers immediately signed Andre Ethier to an $85-million extension and a then-unknown Yasiel Puig to a $42-million deal. They traded for Hanley Ramirez in July. They absorbed more than $260 million in salary obligations when they acquired Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett from the Boston Red Sox in August.

Similar to the Dodgers that year, the Angels wouldn’t necessarily have to reach the postseason to signal a change in culture.

What the new owner would have to do is make the kind of moves that persuade Ohtani he or she is willing to do what Moreno didn’t want to — namely, pay a luxury tax. This will be critical to them winning. With a bare-bone farm system devoid of high-end prospects, the Angels will have to spend their way out of the cellar if they are to compete in 2024 or 2025.

(my bold)

I still have my Manager’s Dream (Willie Mays/Mickey Mantle) baseball card I got in 1962 but wish I had had The Mick’s rookie card instead!

i wonder why this card has always had so much buzz. Mantle, was an all time great.

but, Aaron, Mays, Dimaggio, Williams all close to same era were arguably above him. Why that card?

Pretty sure it has to do with scarcity but I could be wrong.

You think this is about career on-field stats?
It was about his boozing and babehound stats!
Besides DiMag, the others were not on the Yankees, not winning nearly every World Series.
And what YT says, it’s a very rare card. You should know, old guy, that rookie cards were more likely put in the spokes on bicycles back then, than saved as a maybe treasure.

I mean, Ty Cobb was way better than Honus Wagner.

Also, Beethoven wasn’t that great.

Doing a quick look getting super rich on baseball cards is rare as only 4 have sold for over $1m. The article was old but top 4 at the time were: Wagner, Mantel, Ruth, Trout ($3.9m) and #5 was a Nolan Ryan at $600k

The 52 Mantel card is more valuable than the 51. It was better quality and smaller print and it turns out demand at the time was low and 500 boxes were thrown in the river making it even more scarce,.

The one that goes for the mega bucks (not sure if there is more than one like that) is apparently in pristine condition which is tough to do.

that does it - I was thinking rarity was due to people knowing how good someone was going to be. Didn’t realize there was a big difference in distribution

Wagner, Ruth - no one knew that cards would be worth anything, survivors are luck

Ryan is interesting, because un-touted as rookie, might actually even be an issue of him having his own card

Trout is surprising, as how can that be rare?

I grew up as a Yankees fan and The Mick was my idol well before Jim Bouton exposed his antics. He was a larger than life character on an incredibly high profile team. The Yankees were the Montreal Canadians of baseball. Players like Mays just didn’t have the same spotlight shone on them.

Guessing the buyer was a rich boomer who grew up watching Mantle play? I have rookie cards for some of the greatest hockey players of all time but doubt they are worth more than a few hundred dollars as not in mint condition.