2022-23 NHL Hockey Thread

Updated for the new week. Already some tiers forming. Everyone from the Flames up seems like a playoff lock already. Everyone from the Sabres down seems out of luck.

The biggest surprise is the Blues. Already with only a 6% chance at the playoffs. If I had to bet on one team in that tier to make the playoffs itā€™d be them. They canā€™t be that bad right?

Another week, another standings projection. The Bruins and Devils arenā€™t allowed to lose

OMG, LAK v SEA.
ā€œNOT TO THE MIDDLE!!ā€ ā€“ Every soccer and hockey coach and parent ever.

3-3 at first intermission. 8-6 at second intermission.
Kings stole 6 goalsā€™ worth of leads, lost one goal of lead on their own, Then, blew the OT. Not the LAK of old on the 3-on-3. Seems everyone learned from them.

If anybody was to give me 100-1 on the Habs making the playoffs, please let me know.

Habs look pretty sad. Blowing their 4-0 lead to the Canucks last night says it all.

Lots of crazy things going on this year. Scoring is up. Jason Robertson with a true breakout season (I thought last year was his breakout). Tage Thompson with a true breakout season (lol 5 goals 35 minutes into the game tonight).

Who are the best teams? Any way the Bruins and Devils keep up the pace?

I donā€™t think we should overlook the Leafs this year. They must have finally learned something from their playoff failures in recent years: I expect a high seed and a good playoff run this year (but I have been wrong about the Leafs a few times in the last 50+ years.)

The Kings did, last night. Sheesh, what a whiff.

Updated projections from the Athletic. Have Maple Leafs third. Theyā€™ve been on a tear lately.

In terms of advanced metrics?
xG% Rankings
.1. Devils
.2. Bruins
.8. Maple Leafs

xHigh Danger Chance %
.1. Devils
.3. Bruins
.10. Maple Leafs

Using only 5v5 play, its the same except the Leafs are 11th in both.

So the Maple Leafs seem good, but maybe need to pick it up a little. That said, the Devils and Bruins have had easier schedules, and so they will likely come back down to earth.

Iā€™m shocked at how well the Kraken are doing this year. I get to see a couple of games when I visit Seattle in a few weeks. Should be fun

Iā€™m tempted to take in a Canucks or a Leafs game in Seattle.

The stadium is pretty cool. We take the train and it drops us right there.

Not quite as convenient as a 1 pm Mariners or Seahawks game which I can do as a day trip on Amtrak from Vancouver. Train arrives a bit before noon and leaves a bit after 5 pm and the King Street Station is a short walk to both stadia.

Hopefully will eventually be able to take in a Raptors game at the Krakenā€™s arenaā€¦.

Yeah that would be fun. I havenā€™t been to a BBall game in ages. Bummer about the sonics. I liked their jerseys

Montreal ahead or close to teams with significantly higher probabilities.

LAK on a roll lately.

The team that continues to amaze me is Boston. Only 4 losses in regulation time so far: could challenge most wins in a season record.

Ullmark has been brilliant. Hes what 20-1-1? Like come on

Have been watching the Connor Bedard show at the World Juniors this week: incredible talent! Will be interesting to see which NHL team wins the sweepstakes to draft him this year.

Canada plays the US in the World Juniors semi-finals today. Expecting Super Bowl-type viewing numbers in Canada but appreciate that this tournament is not on the radar of US sports fans. Russiaā€™s exclusion from the tournament is a non-story as the big rivalry is now the US-Canada one.