2022-23 NHL Hockey Thread

The Islanders didn’t have cap space, from what I recall. Neither did the Flyers, who were rumored to be in on him. The Devils are still building for the future. Columbus, I could make an argument that they’ll be back in playoff contention shortly even if I think their HC isn’t the right guy to do it.

Could be worse. He could be playing in Arizona.

Arizona should not have a team. Canadian cities like Hamilton and Quebec City would fill their arenas every night if they had a team. Toronto could support two teams but Leafs would never permit that.

Promotion/relegation would solve the problem of teams that do and don’t belong.
But NO owner will agree to that.

Nitpick: Arizona has a team because someone wants to own a team there.

Arizona also has a team because it’s a pro sports league’s right to decide who can and can’t own a team, and where it can and can’t operate. That’s what the entire bankruptcy saga sought to establish.

I would also offer that not every owner wants to maximize revenue across the league, so teams in locations that “don’t deserve one” enhances both their profitability and their value because of the exclusivity that comes along with being the only available team in town.

I don’t think it’s just the owners who’d balk at it. It would also require a massive change in the business model of professional sports in North America that makes MLB’s reorganization of the minor leagues look like doodles on a napkin.

I agree that it would take maybe a ten-year notice, at the minimum, so that owners who generally don’t know what they’re doing except making money hand-over-fist (and some can’t even do that (Coyotes)) can sell their teams.

Speaking of Coyotes:

Yeah, time to start up the tomahawk chop in,… um, Tempe!

The Coyotes will play in the new multipurpose facility on ASU’s campus for at least the next three seasons while seeking to build an arena on city-owned land in Tempe. Mullett Arena, named for a family that has supported the ASU Sun Devils’ Division I hockey program, will have an official capacity of 5,025 fans, and will hold between 4,800 and 5,000 fans for Coyotes games.

“I need to bilk some city out of tax dollars. Tempe, show me what you got. If not, I’ll just go up to Scottsdale…”
Never mind that the Suns play in a Hockey-playable arena. Never mind that Glendale has a now-empty hockey arena with a used scoreboard from Auburn Hills.

NHL is here! Preds got a couple wins over San Jose this weekend, and Rangers just beat the Lightning. Kings up early vs Vegas right now.

My Season Standings predictions:

ATLANTIC METRO CENTRAL PACIFIC
Maple Leafs Hurricanes Avalanche Flames
Panthers Rangers Predators Oilers
Lightning Devils Wild Canucks
Senators Penguins Blues Kings
Bruins Islanders Stars Golden Knights
Red Wings Blue Jackets Jets Ducks
Sabres Capitals Coyotes Kraken
Canadiens Flyers Blackhawks Sharks
1 Like

I’m down on the Caps. Don’t think the Bruins will overcome the injuries. Golden Knights just won’t have the goaltending.

I think we are going to see some high point totals this season. Leafs and Flames over 120. Another 10 teams with 100+. There will be a tank-a-thon happening with the Habs, Flyers, Yotes, Hawks, Kraken, and Sharks. Gonna get ugly.

1 Like

OK, Kings with a minute left, tied, try to run out the clock to eke out a point. Lost a lead, but stole two leads in this game. Bring the puck out from behind their net after holding it for a good 20 seconds, but Knights get the puck and score.
I expect this to happen 20 more times this year.

Alright, an OT and a shootout win on back-to-back nights for the Kings.
At DET, they stole a one-goal lead, but lost two others.
At NSH, they stole a one-goal lead and stole a two-goal lead.

I envy you. Canucks have blown two goal leads in every one of their first four games: an NHL first FWIW. Still no wins.

Its early, but whats going on with the Oilers and Kings? I watched some of the Oilers/Canes game and without their powerplay they dont look very good.

Probably need to have Kopitar or Quick retire. Doughty can stay another year.
Their salaries are just too high for their ages.

Hockey in Arizona is so Mickey Mouse. From The Athletic;

“You’re forgiven if you haven’t caught wind of an NHL team, the Phoenix Coyotes, playing in a brand-new arena this season — Arizona State’s arena, that is.

It’s all part of a long saga featuring unpaid bills and fights with local officials. The new arena is nice, we can admit. But the locker rooms are not finished. Visiting teams will enjoy the privacy of thin black curtains and dress in a wide-open space featuring nothing but concrete flooring. Homey!

The venue seats just 5,000 people, making it the smallest arena in the NHL by about 10,000 seats.”

The latest NHL projections through roughly 10 games by The Athletic. Basically it’s still pre-season projections with 10 games of data, but already some healthy movements, like from the Bruins who certainly were not close to a 112 point projection in pre-season.

Lots of really intriguing matchups tonight, including:
Hurricanes @ Lightning
Bruins @ Rangers
Islanders @ Blues
Kraken @ Wild
Devils @ Oilers

I was watching a west coast game late night on Tuesday, maybe San Jose and someone. Both announcers were women. I don’t watch very much NHL and have not heard any women calling games before. I was surprised and pleased to hear the change.

Unfrotunately she butchered the shootout call and that’s all most people seem to care about. A lot of negativity towards Leah Hextall (the play by play announcer). She’s not great but there are worse men announcers out there. Just shows how hard it is for women to break into this kind of role.

Hopefully at least there will be more women who get into play by play at the top leagues. There are certainly women out there now who are better than Leah but just haven’t gotten a chance.

And it affected the outcome of the game? No? Then anyone complaining should just STFU.
I’ve been on the local King PxP since he started. He sucks. He talks about shit not happening during the game when HE should simply STFU.

Ryan Reynolds looking to add to his sports portfolio by buying Ottawa Senators. All he needs is money.

Scary injury to Evander Kane last night. Skate slices his wrist, and within 2 seconds there’s a large pool of blood on the ice. He clamped down on his arm and got of the ice asap, and then had surgery to repair and is in stable condition now. The kind of injury that could ruin a career if it hit the wrong spot. Checkered past or not, I hope he’s okay and recovers quickly.

edit: Out 3-4 months