2022-23 NCAA Men’s College Basketball Discussion

It might be in the interest of women’s basketball to offer the million dollars. The 2.08 million ESPN women’s brackets this year were all busted by the 40th game (longer than last years 36 games).

The odds of a perfect bracket would still be vanishingly small and the cash prize might get more people playing.

I believe the Purdue loss busted any remaining brackets in the men’s. The longest starting streak in the men’s is 49 games in 2019 and the second longest is 39 games in 2017

2 Likes

That is very true and a great idea. There is nothing like gambling to galvanize the (male) population. Viewership would go up 500%, but so would the disparaging comments about women’s basketball. I admit to being a hater.

I have heard a few people say that about women’s sport but I don’t understand it. It can’t be because the skill level is lower, otherwise the same people wouldn’t watch men’s college basketball or football.

I say it about women’s hoops in particular. The skill level and athleticism is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than its male counterpart and differences are more glaring. This differential would also be highlighted in some other fictional women’s team sports, such as women’s baseball. The difference does not show up as much in women’s volleyball, but this is helped by having the lower net. Individual women’s sports are more watchable.

Individual sports often have prettier women, too. Especially those who are in way-better-than-average-shape. And those where the uniforms are skimpy, those sports are more-watched.

Yes, that is why some women’s sports are easier to watch for men. Not justifying it, merely explaining it. Cuz, men.

I’d say that some men’s sports are easier to watch for women for the same attractiveness reasons.

And when I said women’s volleyball, I meant indoor sixes. Many men would watch women’s beach ______. Adding the volleyball allows men to say they watch women’s sports.

Women’s basketball uses a smaller ball but it doesn’t seem to have as great an affect as the lower net in Volleyball. Though I think there is a pretty big difference in volleyball, though not as big as basketball.

I have noticed that women’s bb players play in John Stockton shorts or shorter. And while the men have shortened theirs some, still nothing like the 90’s and before.

I recall a big hubbub regarding a FIFA person (male) who suggested tighter uniforms for women’s soccer players.

But for BB, ain’t nothing gonna be hanging out, IYKWIM.

Both teams had 10+ -point leads in this game??

Crazy.

Also, TIL: putting a plus sign and a minus sign next to each other results in ±.

But, not in the reverse order:

-+

So first time since they began seeding the teams that there has not been any #1 seeds in the Elite 8.

Wonder what the max sum of seed # of the final 4 has been? This year it is 23.

I was thinking the same thing. Lower seed win every game in the elite 8!

2011 added up to 26.

I think i heard a 5 seed is the highest seed that hasn’t won (not sure if that is post expansion to 64 or ever). 2 chances this year.

I have high expectations regarding sportsmanship in sports. Unfortunately, I’m often left disappointed. However, after a tough loss, the Kansas State coach congratulated the FL Atlantic players in their locker room and gave them a pep talk heading into the Final Four. I would want my children to play for Jerome Tang.

1 Like

Quite the speech!

Creighton coach also did well at press conference noting that they did not play well enough to win and downplayed foul. ESPN spent 10 minutes about ref blowing game giving Seth Greenberg too much time to rail without once mentioning San Diego St. While we can debate timing of fouls and how the game is played, it’s a tough call either way for ref in split second. Most of those that comment negatively either way wouldn’t dare ref a game. SD St played last 2 games well.

(was in SD for a golf tourney and with huge fans that went crazy when they beat AL)

I didn’t even realize Miami came back I switched off that game with Texas having a double digit 2nd half lead.

Conference USA member UNC-Charlotte won the tertiary CBI tournament this year.

Conference USA member Univ of North Texas won the secondary NIT tournament this year (winning the final against CUSA’s UAB)

If FAU could eke out 2 more games, that would give CUSA a sweep of the three major post season tourneys. CUSA. Not the ACC, not the Big 10, not the Big 12, not the SEC. The freaking CUSA.

3 Likes

Hadn’t realized. That’s kinda awesome.