2021 MLB Baseball Discussion

Lesson learned: Don’t talk shit about umpires on podcasts:

so, now that no DH in NL in extra innings, when the last batter of the prior inning is the pitcher, the automatic baserunner, is the batter before him.

If the last batter was a position player, double switched with a pitcher, the baserunner is still the prior player, not the pitcher

That’s weird, but could be solved by having the DH in the NL.

Just in time for Tax Submission Day, Jackie Robinson Day. Everyone wears 42.

On Bobby Bonilla Day, All Mets players will wear the number 1,190,000

Someone missed this years memo, you’ve got til May 17 this year. Thanks COVID.

Well, “Traditionally Celebrated/Cursed Day”

Anywho, here is a nice article about a guy who shook Jackie’s hand after a Home Run. Big deal? Apparently.

1 Like

Ohtani shifted from DH to OF during last night’s game, which has me thinking: can the Mets somehow get deGrom’s bat in the lineup during his off-pitching days too?

Being a Yankee fan, I’m half-kidding kidding, but some Met fans may be thinking the same thing right about now, and I couldn’t blame them after watching him dominate the other night.

Interesting. I also had not appreciated until I saw this what a big deal Robinson playing Triple-A for the Montréal Royals was. I only knew the significance of his Brooklyn Dodgers debut.

Means with the first ever, no walk, no HBP, no error, no-hitter, non perfect game in mlb history.

OK, can’t we make Tony LaRussa retire again? We’re 30 games in and so far his rate of game-screwing-up decisions is at 10%. I don’t think even a good team can stand to lose 16 games over a season to managerial incompetence.

Pujols released on Willie Mays’ 90th birthday.

Got me thinking, always the debatable greatest living player. When Willie passes would Pujols become the greatest living player? A lot depends on what you do with Bonds, Pujols started better and faded as aging players normally do. Griffey? Schmidt? Henderson?

It’s gotta be Bonds unless steroids are disqualifying.

But if not Bonds probably between Pujols, Cabrera, Griffy Jr, Henderson. Henderson may be one of the all time underrated great players.

For people younger than I am, maybe. He was a game changer…

BTW, if Willie lives long enough, Trout may step right into the title.

I have trouble including Bonds because of the roids. He would be the only pick, unarguably, if you ignore that.

Pretty much Trout, unless and/or until Ohtani ramps up his two-way game.
And, unless/until until we find out Trout is some alien. Those aliens who were sent to serve man had a type of baseball too.

Is that where hotdogs came from?

btw, through 11 seasons (easiest split w/o math) Pujols leads Trout in virtually every category, except Triples, SB and slightly behind in OPS+ — Otherwise Pujols if counting or going by per plated appearance. Leads in every other staistic

Well there is also the whole CF v 1B debate. But through 11 seasons I’ll agree that both Pujols and Trout were ridiculously good.

funny, I thought he played 3B more than he did. Played a lot more in the OF than I realized as well

I think he played 3B mostly because they still had Big Mac his rookie year and they wanted Pujols bat in the lineup but I don’t think he was very good there. Kind of like how Jim Thome came up as 3B for Cleveland though Thome didn’t force his way to regular playing time as quick as Albert.

I totally forgot Pujols even played the OF and had to look up why. Apparently they brought in Tino Martinez after he left Yanks and forced Pujols to the OF because they had Rolen playing 3B. Pujols wasn’t a good OF based on most metrics but he was a good enough athlete to not embarrass himself in the OF.