2023 Fantasy Baseball

It may be unreasonable, but I really loved the long drawn-out draft via message board…gave us plenty of time to evaluate the picks, make fun of each other, make adjustments to our strategy, etc. I’ve always thought the draft was like half the fun of any given season, and the AO keeper league draft was great because it lasted so long!

That said, I’ll play under any rules/draft scenario. I would prefer something on the later side (say 9 PM EST) for a draft, after I get through evening family time.

2 Likes

If you want to play, send me a PM with your preferred e-mail address for Yahoo! invites to go out on. I’m going to collect names and see if we’ve got enough to play and set something up. I’m thinking we’ll put in some keeper rules to make it more interesting, but I don’t foresee a drawn out message board draft. Mostly because I have no desire to keep that thing (Drafty) up and running like in the past. I’d be fine with it if anyone has a reasonable alternative suggestion.

Just an idea I had re. auction-style that doesn’t require everyone to be together in a room (physically or virtually): have it be a blind-auction where the draft begins from highest bid amounts, and the team awarded the player is the highest bidder as long as (a) the team can fill any eligible position with the player being bid on and (b) team has enough money left and it’s at least the amount of the max bid. Participants would send their lists of players w/ bid prices for each. Have enough for any position. (Tie-breakers? Use a random number generator.) Not sure if this is clear or how it would work out, but just something I thought of.

Maybe have it in 2 phases so that strategies can be tweaked for and endgame, or have a separate reserve round where the salaries decline for players #16-20something to round out the roster.

Lovely idea… but I’m retired from working hard for this so someone else would need to volunteer to be commissioner :laughing:

Which I’m totally cool with.

1 Like

Ok, so we’re sitting on ten guys at the moment. If you don’t see your name on the list, I don’t have you.

Kid Rock, JudgeSmails (welcome!), coinfootball, Linus, greenman, Zeke, MayanActuary (I believe welcome to this league!), yankeetripper, UA?, and me (Arby!)

Going to shoot a PM over to Bing to see if he’s interested. If so we’ll need one more, if anyone sees someone floating around the site that hasn’t found us here. Throw out some possible rules, I’m thinking traditional 5x5 weekly league. Do we want to try auction draft or stay with snake draft? Keeper rules, maybe can keep up to three players, keeper costs being either a 3 round increase the next season or if auction an $X increase? Max you can keep a guy is two additional years?

Thoughts?

I am good with the 5x5 weekly. Snake is good. Like the 3 round increase on 3 guys.

Sounds good to me.

Weekly roster changes or daily roster changes? I’m not a big fan of weekly changes.

3 Likes

Agreed!

:iatp:

Agree with 'tripper…gotta be daily changes.

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together Arby

We’re doing the draft through yahoo, correct? No more long draft?

I’d vote for snake as I am guessing we are going to have a hard time getting all 10 to agree on a date/time, and auto-draft in snake is much better than auto-draft in auction.

Good with the 3 round increase. Does that mean you can’t keep anyone drafted in the first 3 rounds?

Prefer daily, but weekly is ok.

5x5 is fine

With only 10 guys what are we thinking for roster composition? Do we want MI, CI? How many OF/Util?

On a semi-related note if anyone is interest joining a free 12 team roto league we have 1 spot open this year.
Yahoo - live draft Sunday March 21, 11 AM pacific, 2 PM eastern
35 max moves, daily changes, 8x8 cats below
Runs ®, Doubles (2B), Triples (3B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)
Innings Pitched (IP), Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

DAILY CHANGES!!!

Didn’t think about roster compilation… how deep do we want this to go? How about 2 choices (pitching stays the same)…

Shallow League - More transactions, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, 2 Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P, 5 BN, 2 IL

Deeper League - Fewer transactions, more research C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, 5 OF, 2 Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, 4 BN, 2 IL

Open to discussion on either.

Bing is coming back… we need one more… or we can run a ghost team (auto-draft, only replaces injured players with top rated player on waivers, weekly lineup sets with top ranked players, losing to them is embarassing).

daily changes, shallow

I like shallow as well.

@IPD any interest in being the 12th manager?

I’m in if you still need someone!

4 Likes

Another vote for daily changes and shallow

Shoot me your e-mail in a PM and you’re #12!