2020 College Football Discussion

Should have added “maybe USC” in there somewhere, but they’re pretty far behind in BCS, behind several two-loss teams, and not sure if they’ll meet the number of games requirement (is there one?).

An Oral History of the Demise of the Southwest Conference.

Bad news, tOSU fails to qualify for the B1G Championship game because it hasn’t played enough games.

Oh, wait, they will just change the rules.

1 Like

And … they did - but I buy the argument here, even if they had played and lost they would have won the B1G East by virtue of the head-to-head win over Indiana. The stupid thing was declaring a 6-game minimum in the first place.

No, I don’t want to discuss the Florida game, unless we’re discussing what a fucking moron someone is for shitting the bed all night long, watching a teammate make a stop, and getting up and throwing an opponent’s shoe downfield to prolong the opposition’s drive that resulted in the GW FG.

What’s the difference between your college football program having money and your college football having money in Power 5 conference land?

When you have money - like, say Auburn - you can dismiss the guy who led your program to a national championship in 2013 and pay him $21.5 million to go - half of it due within 30 days. Maybe you also throw $8 million at all the assistants to send them away as well.

When you don’t have money - like, say Illinois - you have to extend your guy who’s gone 9-27 in 3 years and it’s clear the program is (still) shitting the bed because you don’t want to fork over the $12 million it would take to send him away, and you wait another 2 years where he goes a total 8-12, the program is still pretty much adrift, and you only have to pay him $1 million to leave.

That article kept saying if they fire him by Dec. 1. So what happens after 12/1? Does the buyout go down? does the 30 day requirement go away? You know that was what TT did with Leach. They waited a few days to fire him so that they wouldn’t have to pay him as much. Or was it they fired him a few days early. I forget, but these schools know what the contracts say. So I’m guessing there was something rather big about that 12/1 date.

Assuming you’re talking about Lovie. I think the buyout was $1 million if fired after the end of the 2020 or 2021 season; it would have been $2 million if fired after the '19 season - if I’m reading things right.

TT had a provision where if Leach were the head coach on 12/31/09, he got $800K. They fired him the day before. There was also a provision where he got $1.6 million if fired without cause, but TT maintained he was fired for cause. 11 years later, Leach is still fighting TT for all $2.4 million.

No, I was talking about the article about Gus. But the USA article that is linked in the quoted part, says that the buyout doesn’t fall below 8 figures until after the 2023 season. So maybe not 21,450,000 but still in the 8 figure range. Though I am a little surprised that Illinois doesn’t have more money, they are in the B1G aren’t they? Is the SEC that much richer than the B1G? Interestingly, the USA Today article says Purdue’s coach had a larger buyout than Malzahn. So maybe it is booster support at Illinois?

If Auburn University were to buyout Malzahn on Dec. 1, 2020, it would cost the university $21,450,000. What makes this even more complicated is Malzahn does not have a provision in his contract to actively look for a job if he were fired without cause by Dec. 1. He would be entitled to 75 percent of whatever is left on his contract and would command half within 30 days.

Illinois poured a ton of money into building up facilities for the football team. Maybe the boosters would have footed the bill for a buyout, but I don’t sense there was a lot of appetite for it. Honestly, there’s a lot of apathy around the football program and it’s been there for the better part of 15 years.

Contact with HS coaches around the state is poor. They typically get out-recruited in-state. Whoever they bring in has to change all of that to at least get them toward respectability; do that, and you can build from there. However, I think whoever does that isn’t sticking around long-term; they’ll get wooed out to somewhere bigger within say 4-6 years.

Just think what all that money could have been doing…

Huxies out of PAC12 championship, because that COVID thing that’s been going around. Yeah, it’s still around, still contagious, still puts lots of people into the hospital and their ICUs, still killing people. Just like it was in March through September.
But, hey, money comes first.
No, this is not an indictment on their being switched out. Couldn’t care less. More about this whole season taking place.

1 Like

You don’t understand. So what if 300,000 people and counting have died? They’re expendable as long as we can be entertained.

Also, liberty freedom economy nonsense.

OK, BYU gets another bowl game against a marginally decent G5 team in the RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl.

This guy knows what’s important [/s]

You know, another team will take your place. You will be a boycott of one, and that’s not really a boycott (so I’m told repeatedly). Boycott is effective only when others join you and cause significant damage to whatever you’re boycotting.

Oof, didn’t know that ND really really didn’t want to be in the playoff.
A&M probably go, as long as 'bama beats UF.

Well, you got Bret Bielema. That has to make you happy.

I hope he’s still there when SIU-Carbondale plays in Champaign in 2026.

Huh. The lure of ND eyeballs was enough to include them for one more huge and embarrassing loss.
And, The Pagentry…that is…The Rose Bowl opts out.
So, all those families can both watch their kids play football and get COVID in some other state.

I think Rose Bowl Game was moved due to state/local regs, not so much on their own initiative.

My son remarked the after-game celebrations in Tuscaloosa looked as if there were plenty of superspreader events going on.

The fact that the season was even held is proof that football is more important than ANYTHING, to some.

1 Like