20 Questions Game7

Yes, official

1. (JSM) Is it commonly found in the house? Yes
  2. (JSM) Is it commonly made out of wood? No
  3. (twig93) Does it spend 80% of its time in roughly the same place? Yes
  4. (JSM) Is at least 60% of it commonly made out of metal? Yes/No It depends on the type
  5. (Lucy) Is it a room? No
  6. (soyleche) Does it emit sound? Yes
  7. (Lucy) Does it use / is used with water? No
  8. (Lucy) Is it larger than a beagle? No
  9. (Lucy) Does it have a screen? Yes
  10. (Lucy) Is it a computer? No
  11. (JSM) Is it an electronic? Yes
  12. (Lucy) Is it a smart thermostat? No
  13. (JSM) Is it a smart home device? No
  14. (JSM) Does it tell time? Yes/No Fancier versions may have this ability, but I believe the majority do not.
  15. (Lucy) Is it a microwave oven? No
  16. (Soyleche) Is it powered by alkaline batteries (like your basic Duracells - AAA/AA/C/D/etc)? No
  17. (twig93) Is it typically found in the kitchen? Yes certain types are found in the kitchen
  18. (twig93) Is it used in the preparation of food/beverages? Yes, certain types are
  19. (Lucy) Is it a scale? No

To piggy back on 14, this also depends on the type as well.

Is it a thermometer, I am going in!!!

1. (JSM) Is it commonly found in the house? Yes
  2. (JSM) Is it commonly made out of wood? No
  3. (twig93) Does it spend 80% of its time in roughly the same place? Yes
  4. (JSM) Is at least 60% of it commonly made out of metal? Yes/No It depends on the type
  5. (Lucy) Is it a room? No
  6. (soyleche) Does it emit sound? Yes
  7. (Lucy) Does it use / is used with water? No
  8. (Lucy) Is it larger than a beagle? No
  9. (Lucy) Does it have a screen? Yes
  10. (Lucy) Is it a computer? No
  11. (JSM) Is it an electronic? Yes
  12. (Lucy) Is it a smart thermostat? No
  13. (JSM) Is it a smart home device? No
  14. (JSM) Does it tell time? Yes/No Fancier versions may have this ability, but I believe the majority do not.
  15. (Lucy) Is it a microwave oven? No
  16. (Soyleche) Is it powered by alkaline batteries (like your basic Duracells - AAA/AA/C/D/etc)? No
  17. (twig93) Is it typically found in the kitchen? Yes certain types are found in the kitchen
  18. (twig93) Is it used in the preparation of food/beverages? Yes, certain types are
  19. (Lucy) Is it a scale? No
  20. (JSM) Is it a thermometer? YES

To piggy back on 14, this also depends on the type as well.

just googled, the round batteries are lithium.

YAY!

Nicely done

Ya’ll made me google a lot.

The medical one we have is a digital plastic thermometer that takes CR2032 battery. Then the 60% metal question would pertain to oven thermometers. Some fancy oven and meat ones tell time. Ours don’t connect to wifi.

Next time I have to think of an object I’ll think of something that doesn’t have so many types.

Okay. I need to protest the answers to several of these.

Yes, I have thermometers. I even wondered if you might mean that by this comment, but I ruled that out on several grounds:

I have… hmmm…
2 weather thermometers. Neither has a screen, nor is electronic, nor emits sound.
4 “health” thermometers. One that my daughter bought has a small screen and is electronic. Maybe it makes noise, I never use it. The other three are glass&mercury affairs and have no screen, are completely silent, and are not electronic.
2 “yeast and roast” thermometer, a thermopen, and 4 wireless electronic thermometers. Those are all silent, only the thermopen has a screen (the wireless ones rely on your cell phone), and I think it takes AAA batteries, although I’m not certain about that. I also threw out 3 “instant read” bimetalic thermometers after determining they weren’t very accurate. But none of them had a screen, none was electroninc ,and none made noise.
4 thermometers associated with home thermostats (which I guessed) of which 3 have screens, and those 3 each use ordinary AA batteries (which I’ve changed several times), and none of the 4 makes sound.

So, out of 20 thermometers that I own or recently owned,

• only one might make a sound, and it’s never used in the kitchen
  • only 5 have screens, and at least 3 of those use ordinary AAA alkeline batteries.
  • Only 9 are electronic, and 3 of those use ordinary AAA batteries, 4 don’t have a screen, and at most one makes noise.

So I think the problem is that you answered inconsistently, sometimes based on your electronic health thermometer, and sometimes more generally. Also, I was cheated!

Oh, I threw out an in-oven thermometer, too, because it got so covered with crud it was unusable. It was also an analog thermometer with no screen, no electronics, etc. Probably bi-metallic.

I guess you could also say that my oven incorporates its own thermometer, which is electronic and actually… probably meets all your criteria, if you count the oven screen as “its” and count the oven beeping when it hits temperature as the thermometer emitting a sound. Which I’d accept.

So… 2 of my 22 example thermometers meet your description. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes, I know… it’s just a game. I’ll see myself out, now.

I chose an object (thermometer) that was too vague based on the ones in my household, which was why I added the caveats depends on the type.

We have the digital medical kind that beeps when it is finished taking your temp, a metal oven thermometer which beeps when the food reaches the desired temp, and a meat thermometer that beeps also when it completes it’s reading. They all have screens on the reading to prevent damage from liquid, extreme heat, extreme cold. They all use a lithium battery. They don’t connect to bluetooth or wifi. Nothing fancy about them.

I wouldn’t have considered a thermostat a thermometer. It reads a household’s temperature like a thermometer, but it’s main function is to set the temperature.

Anyways, next time I have to pick something, I’ll do something more specific that doesn’t have multiple types for different functions.

I’m intrigued that all of your thermometers are electronic. That’s the biggest disconnect. Most of mine aren’t. And that includes ones I’ve purchased recently. The fluid-in-a-tube thermometers are very accurate and work forever, with no maintenance. I know they’ve been phased out for medical stuff, because those ones use mercury (mine are old) but they are still easy to buy for cooking and weather use. (I think the fluid is an alcohol.) And unless you want to invest in a pricy thermopen, they are what i would recommend to anyone in the market for a thermometer.

I guess I’m also surprised that all of yours are noisy. None of mine are. “emits sound” really isn’t something i expect from a thermometer.

Most of the thermometers for body temp I use are electronic too, the ones that doctors put under your tongue, arm, and makes a beep noise when it finishes. I have not seen anyone use mercury ones since I was a little kid. That’s why the screen and sound answers made sense to me.

My grill thermometer, the one that has a metal stick that goes into meat, doesn’t make a sound, since it reflects temperature almost immediately. But that’s electronic too.

I’m surprised at the number of non electronic thermometers you have. (am I agist?!)

I’ve got two electric kitchen thermometers. I know one uses a AAA battery and has an alarm (also works as a timer). The other is for “instant read” applications - not sure if it uses alkaline or lithium batteries. It does not make any sounds.

That’s probably correlated with age. And the three carefully-hoarded mercury thermometers are likely due to my age. They’ve been hard or impossible to find for years. But i like both that they are extremely accurate and also that the battery doesn’t die. I do need to shake them down after use, though, which is a nuisance. That’s why my daughter bought a modern electronic one.

But analog “yeast and roast” and weather thermometers are still easy to buy, both liquid and bimetallic. The bimetallic ones don’t work very well in my experience, but the liquid-based ones are great.

here are some ordinary analog thermometers:

Tube-based (lots of these on the market, although other kinds are more common these days)

And bi-metalic. These are easy to read, but not super accurate, in my experience:

And I have a couple of these, (slightly different style) that work great. I tested all my thermometers against a pot of boiling water one day, and these actually equilibrated to their final temperature a lot faster than the “instant read” ones. The difference is that you can leave these in the roast as it cooks, as they don’t have any plastic or other parts that will be damaged by the heat.

Or answer more generally. If you’d said that they sometime make sound, usually don’t have AAA batteries, often have a screen, and all of yours are electronic, I wouldn’t be grumpy. I also would have guessed thermometer. I ruled that out based on your absolutes.

1 Like

Sorry, I really will see myself out now. You can find me in the “things that bother you more than they ought to” thread. :wink:

I will say for my object, when I initially thought of it I was thinking that it may be in every single person’s home, but when I got the question Is at least 60% of it commonly made out of metal? It made it a little more complex in that there are different types of this object. Im looking for the general name, you don’t have to be super specific.